Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Blue Creek South of Homer Wilson Ranch

• 3 Replies

Offline Alto Relex

• Roadrunner
Blue Creek South of Homer Wilson Ranch
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:01:22 AM »
As a warmup for the OML I'm considering this: 

Stash extra food and water in the bear box at Homer Wilson Ranch, then hike from Mule Ears to Smoky Creek, up Smoky Creek to the Dodson, camp along Dodson, then next day hike to the bear box, get my stuff, then follow Blue Creek south and meander back to the Mule Ears parking lot.  I know I can carry enough food and water for this overnight trip but my main goals are to practice relying on a stash and to get a better feel for the Dodson. 

My question is about taking Blue Creek to get back to Mule Ears parking lot.  I prefer not to walk down the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive if I can avoid it.  Has anyone here taken Blue Creek south and then gone cross-country to the Mule Ears parking lot?  If so any suggested routes appreciated.  If I do have to take the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive, what's the intersection of that drive and Blue Creek like--I can't remember how high above the creek the road is at that point.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:10:09 AM by Alto Relex »

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
Re: Blue Creek South of Homer Wilson Ranch
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:33:22 AM »
You have several options. One would be to stay in the wash all the way to RMD. I can't say for sure but believe that there is no bridge where the road crosses the wash so would be no problem to get on the road. You could stay in the wash for a ways further as the wash parallels the road for a while. I have not done this but looking at the map there doesn't appear to be any issues.

Another option would be go down Blue Creek for a mile or so and cross the low ridge to your left (south) and drop into the drainage that goes east of Goat Mountain. Then before the junction with the Smoky Creek trail take the old Mule Ears trail back to the where you can pick up the actual ME trail. There is one pouroff to be negotiated below Goat Mountain at Mesa Bonito Spring.

Mule Ears will probably speak up but he went from RMD around the east side of Trap Mountain to Trap Spring. You could then pick up the ME trail. This could be done in conjuncton with coming all the way down Blue Creek to the road.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:40:14 AM by Robert »

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 01:04:44 PM »
You have several options. One would be to stay in the wash all the way to RMD. I can't say for sure but believe that there is no bridge where the road crosses the wash so would be no problem to get on the road. You could stay in the wash for a ways further as the wash parallels the road for a while. I have not done this but looking at the map there doesn't appear to be any issues.

Another option would be go down Blue Creek for a mile or so and cross the low ridge to your left (south) and drop into the drainage that goes east of Goat Mountain. Then before the junction with the Smoky Creek trail take the old Mule Ears trail back to the where you can pick up the actual ME trail. There is one pouroff to be negotiated below Goat Mountain at Mesa Bonito Spring.

Mule Ears will probably speak up but he went from RMD around the east side of Trap Mountain to Trap Spring. You could then pick up the ME trail. This could be done in conjuncton with coming all the way down Blue Creek to the road.

Alto Relex,
that looks like a nice loop and a pretty good amount of walking. No need to walk the RMSD at all.

All good suggestions from Robert. I have walked a short distance in Blue Creek below where it  crosses RMSD, usual wash walking. Robert is correct there is no bridge where it crosses just some culverts I believe. Jody H walked much of this route but in reverse last Feb. his report is here. The added attraction would be you would be able to check out Wasp spring as you go by it in the wash just before the crossing of the RMSD.

Here is the description of both our route down Blue Creek and across the RMSD and over the saddle between Goat and Trap Mtns. on day 5 (where you could then walk the Mule Ears trail back to the parking lot) and Roberts suggested route down the wash east of Goat Mtn. which we did on day 6 but heading up wash towards Homer Wislon, you then could also take the Mule Ears trail back to the parking lot at the Overlook.

Have fun!

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Alto Relex

• Roadrunner
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 02:26:58 PM »
Thanks much, Robert and Mule Ears!   Now that Daylight Savings Time is here I've got the itch to go back to BiBe big time!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!