Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Circumnavigating the Chisos?

• 8 Replies

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
« on: November 05, 2018, 07:36:41 PM »
Just a question, has anyone hiked all the way around the Chisos? Would it be viable and desirable? I see proximity to roads as both a pro and a con. Pro for caching and bailout options, con for the obvious constant impingement of the sounds of civilization on an otherwise peaceful hike. I'm not a hardcore hiker and am not planning such a quest, but I was just wondering if anyone has done it and if not, why has it not been considered? 
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
Re: Circumnavigating the Chisos?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 07:37:50 PM »
Just a question, has anyone hiked all the way around the foot of the Chisos? Would it be viable and desirable? I see proximity to roads as both a pro and a con. Pro for caching and bailout options, con for the obvious constant impingement of the sounds of civilization on an otherwise peaceful hike. I'm not a hardcore hiker and am not planning such a quest, but I was just wondering if anyone has done it and if not, why has it not been considered?

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 08:30:43 PM »
Just a question, has anyone hiked all the way around the foot of the Chisos? Would it be viable and desirable? I see proximity to roads as both a pro and a con. Pro for caching and bailout options, con for the obvious constant impingement of the sounds of civilization on an otherwise peaceful hike. I'm not a hardcore hiker and am not planning such a quest, but I was just wondering if anyone has done it and if not, why has it not been considered?

Yes! I believe it was done by Trtlrock and his wife a few years ago, though Iím not sure they posted an after-action trip report. IIRC, it was a 25+íday trip with lots and lots of pre-positioned caches. They might even have dipped out of the park near Lajitas. The older hands here would know more than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Online dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 11:21:26 PM »
This is one of those possibilities that screams to be included on the old bucket list.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 05:00:46 AM »
Trtlrock and his wife did indeed to a 14 day trip in 2007.  They don't do big miles so it could be done in much shorter time if one wanted to.  Here it the planning thread with maps but he never posted a trip report.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 07:34:25 AM »
Thanks guys. I was curious after poking around on GE.

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 10:53:37 AM »
Trtlrock and his wife did indeed to a 14 day trip in 2007.  They don't do big miles so it could be done in much shorter time if one wanted to.  Here it the planning thread with maps but he never posted a trip report.

Thatís right. Thanks. Didnít they also do a really long trip later, one that took them out of the park and back?

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 11:59:12 AM »
They have done 3 long trips and the last one was 25 days across the northern part of the national park and then through the state park

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 12:06:31 PM »
They have done 3 long trips and the last one was 25 days across the northern part of the national park and then through the state park

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

That's the one I was thinking about! Thanks, ME.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!