Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Desert hikes in mid April

• 15 Replies

Offline crgowo

• Kangaroo Rat
Desert hikes in mid April
« on: March 18, 2018, 06:43:45 PM »
From what Ive read in the guide book mid April is already pretty warm to be out in exposed sun.  I'll be in Big Bend for 3 days mid April staying at Rio Grande village and dont know what to hike the 1st day.  The 2nd day is already dedicated to the chisos south rim loop with a stop at Emory Peak.  3rd day before we head out short hikes, like Ernst Tinaja, maybe grape vine hills, and Santa Elena canyon.  Its the first day I'm a little unsure what to hike.  Some of us will be camping out the night before(arriving late at night) and some will be arriving by lunch time. 

So I was thinking maybe hiking the hotsprings trail from Rio Grande Village when everyone arrives but not sure if it would be too hot.  Whats recommended for a desert hike early morning and after lunch.  I would like to squeeze a quick trip over the Border at the port of entry in Big Bend but only if I have the time to do so.  Anyhow Thanks for the recommendations. 

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Re: Desert hikes in mid April
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 08:33:33 PM »
From what Ive read in the guide book mid April is already pretty warm to be out in exposed sun.  I'll be in Big Bend for 3 days mid April staying at Rio Grande village and dont know what to hike the 1st day.  The 2nd day is already dedicated to the chisos south rim loop with a stop at Emory Peak.  3rd day before we head out short hikes, like Ernst Tinaja, maybe grape vine hills, and Santa Elena canyon.  Its the first day I'm a little unsure what to hike.  Some of us will be camping out the night before(arriving late at night) and some will be arriving by lunch time. 

So I was thinking maybe hiking the hotsprings trail from Rio Grande Village when everyone arrives but not sure if it would be too hot.  Whats recommended for a desert hike early morning and after lunch.  I would like to squeeze a quick trip over the Border at the port of entry in Big Bend but only if I have the time to do so.  Anyhow Thanks for the recommendations.

The great, scary statements of CAUTION!!!! about the Bend in April have most to do with backpackers who might try longer and exposed trails.  The day-in and day-out exposure and exertion have a cumulative effect, plus there is all the water to carry.

Although April can get hot, day hikes in exposed areas are not that bad (as long as you compensate for the heat, sunshine, and low humidity).

Most would not want to do the long, exposed Dodson as April warms, but day hikes like Pine Springs, Lost Mine Trail, Grapevine Hills, and some others are doable in average April conditions if you (i) remain hydrated- Hydrated - HYDRATED, (ii) wear loose-fitting, full-coverage garments and hats, and (iii) take precautionary rests in all available shade. 
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 08:58:47 PM »
+1 on dpratherís advice. Some other possible hikes for Day 1: Dog Canyon, Tuff Canyon, Cattail Falls, Ward Spring, The Window and/or Oak Spring. All are less than half-day hikes and feature reasonable parking near the trailhead. Many offer great sunset views.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 09:22:18 PM »
So I was thinking maybe hiking the hotsprings trail from Rio Grande Village
It has been quite a few years since I have hiked from RGV to hot springs and I doubt I shall do so again. It struck me as rather unexceptional for the big bend. I'll suggest you spend some time at sam nail ranch. You can sit under a pecan tree and wait for wildlife to come to the water. Many tourists will walk through in less than 10 minutes; I find if I wait for them to move on, in another 5 to 10 minutes the place is again quite active. I haven't seen a mountain lion at sam nail but I have seen almost everything else. (Including rattlesnakes -- stay alert and watch your step!) You should be able to find varied bunting, blue grosbeak, yellow-breasted chat, and bell's vireo easily enough. Keep your eyes open for a verdin; they're shy. I've seen scaled quail, coyote, and coachwhip (red racer) at the water. One year I spotted a chestnut sided warbler! There are so many great hikes in the park it's always tempting to try one more hike but at sam nail patience is rewarded.
Hope this helps,
Imre
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 10:19:00 PM »
+1 on Sam Nail. If youíre looking for a quiet, meditative place to commune with wildlife for an hour or two, Sam Nail is the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 10:26:09 PM »
I've only hiked the Hot Springs Canyon hike from RGV to the Hot Springs once, in late November when the air temp was mid 70's. Probably got up over 80 as the hike wore on, but it felt like 100.  I would not recommend it in April unless you like feeling like you are walking in an oven. You might get lucky and have cooler weather, but don't plan on it.

Check out past temps in April for RGV (if you can find it). It can get pretty warm there and stay that way through the night.

Offline DesertRatShorty

• Diamondback
    • Who was Desert Rat Shorty?
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 10:46:24 PM »

Trying to pack in Santa Elena and Ernst Tinaja on day 3 would be a long day. The drive between them would be 2.5 hours. If you want to hit both of those postcard sites (a worthy goal) I would try to schedule a day on the east side of the park and another on the west.
I roamed and rambled, and I foller'ed my footsteps
   To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
   And all around me a voice was a'sounding
   This land was made for you and me

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 10:50:48 PM »
I agree with DRS on your day 3 schedule.  Why not do Ernst on Day 1, since it's a short day and you're on that side of the park.  Day 3, you can hit several short hikes - Sam Nail, Ward Springs, Santa Elena, etc - along Ross Maxwell.

Offline crgowo

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 10:26:07 AM »

The great, scary statements of CAUTION!!!! about the Bend in April have most to do with backpackers who might try longer and exposed trails.  The day-in and day-out exposure and exertion have a cumulative effect, plus there is all the water to carry.

Although April can get hot, day hikes in exposed areas are not that bad (as long as you compensate for the heat, sunshine, and low humidity).

Most would not want to do the long, exposed Dodson as April warms, but day hikes like Pine Springs, Lost Mine Trail, Grapevine Hills, and some others are doable in average April conditions if you (i) remain hydrated- Hydrated - HYDRATED, (ii) wear loose-fitting, full-coverage garments and hats, and (iii) take precautionary rests in all available shade.

True.  Thanks, I'll make sure everyone is properly prepared for desert hiking.    I always prefer long sleeve than just adding sunscreen too.  Feel cooler without the sun hitting my skin.  I'll pass this along to everyone else.

Offline crgowo

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 10:28:11 AM »
Trying to pack in Santa Elena and Ernst Tinaja on day 3 would be a long day. The drive between them would be 2.5 hours. If you want to hit both of those postcard sites (a worthy goal) I would try to schedule a day on the east side of the park and another on the west.

Thats true.  I Guess I figured we'll be heading out right after doing the Canyon but I'll try and plan it better  and look into what Jalco recommended. 

Thanks again everyone.

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 10:42:46 AM »

I think DPrather meant Pine Canyon rather than Pine Springs.  Anyway, Pine Canyon is definitely worth seeing.  The first mile or so (and the last since it's an out-and-back) are exposed, but the canyon itself is shady and very different from almost any other hike in the park.

Rather than hiking all the way to the hot springs (and back), just go the first mile or so, to where it tops out.  You will have a great view of the river below and the Sierra del Carmens.

I concur on allowing one day for the east side of the park and one day for the west.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline crgowo

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 10:55:39 AM »

I think DPrather meant Pine Canyon rather than Pine Springs.  Anyway, Pine Canyon is definitely worth seeing.  The first mile or so (and the last since it's an out-and-back) are exposed, but the canyon itself is shady and very different from almost any other hike in the park.

Rather than hiking all the way to the hot springs (and back), just go the first mile or so, to where it tops out.  You will have a great view of the river below and the Sierra del Carmens.

I concur on allowing one day for the east side of the park and one day for the west.

Is the dirt road to the Pine Canyon trailhead usually in good condition or do you need high clearance like on the River road?

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 11:16:04 AM »

Is the dirt road to the Pine Canyon trailhead usually in good condition or do you need high clearance like on the River road?

Oops - I did mean Pine Canyon...and, yes, the road in has always been easy going for me, even when driving my wife's car.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 04:30:09 PM by dprather »
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 04:02:07 PM »
Check out past temps in April for RGV (if you can find it). It can get pretty warm there and stay that way through the night.
Attached is some data from last April obtained from http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=RGET2
Highs got up to 107 on April 20 and first hit 100 on April 8. Those seem to be normal for that area of the park.

The TS645 station used to be at RGV, but was moved sometime back. It still has data from way back, but I'm not sure of it's pedigree.

Offline crgowo

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 04:43:56 PM »
Attached is some data from last April obtained from http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=RGET2
Highs got up to 107 on April 20 and first hit 100 on April 8. Those seem to be normal for that area of the park.

The TS645 station used to be at RGV, but was moved sometime back. It still has data from way back, but I'm not sure of it's pedigree.

Damn!  I wasn't expecting it to get that hot in April.  :/   Thanks for the info.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!