Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Dominguez Spring overnight advice

• 2 Replies

Offline cookch1

• Roadrunner
Dominguez Spring overnight advice
« on: January 10, 2019, 11:01:17 AM »
Planning a trip to Dominguez Spring for mid February, all parties are experienced backpackers with moderate off trail experience. We plan to hike in to Dominguez Spring from River Road and use it as our base camp for 3 nights. Looks like there are several options for great day hikes from DS...Fisk Canyon exploration, ridge run from Jack's Pass to pt. 5386, summit pt. 5168, etc. I'm very much looking forward to spending some time in this part of the park.
Questions:
- It looks like DS is fairly reliable even during dry months. Any recent reports? I would assume it's flowing well right now.
- Is there a preferred campsite near DS that we should look for?
- If you could choose 2 day hikes from this base camp what would they be?
- Concerns about leaving a vehicle at the DS trailhead for 3 nights? We will have 2 vehicles and plan on leaving everything that we're not taking with us in the 2nd vehicle that will be parked on pavement.

As always, thanks for your help and the wealth of information this forum provides.

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
Re: Dominguez Spring overnight advice
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 12:05:33 PM »
I would be confident that Dominguez Spring is running and there should be water in Fisk Canyon as a backup. I like to camp in the old corral area next to the old ruins. It's flat and somewhat sheltered from the wind. Good for larger groups too and close to water. For day hikes, I would definitely do Pt 5168, but make your approach from Jack's Pass. Epic views on the summit of 5168. Maybe do Dominguez Mountain on the other day. Check out the Big Bend Google Earth Project in my signature for routes and exploratory options.

I typically don't park at the trailhead but instead park a little down the road but before the actual DS1 campsite. That way your vehicle is somewhat concealed from passersby on the River Road. I've never had any problem parking there for several days, but others have not been so lucky.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:34:19 AM by Lance »

Offline cookch1

• Roadrunner
Re: Dominguez Spring overnight advice
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 03:13:34 PM »
Very helpful, thanks.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!