Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

First time backpacking

• 6 Replies

Offline Allard.amber

• Kangaroo Rat
First time backpacking
« on: February 14, 2019, 09:19:40 PM »
Hi there,

I am looking for advice on our first backpacking trip to big bend. This will be our second backpacking trip overall and we hope to spend 1-3 nights. Advice on mapping out our trip,gear and water consumption/caches etc. are greatly appreciated. As well as any other tips or tricks.

Thanks!!

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: First time backpacking
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 10:22:25 PM »
When are you planning on going? Hoe much time in the park will you have?

Since this will be your first time to the park (I assume), I'd recommend a one or two night loop in the Chisos Mountains to the South Rim. You could then spend any extra time you have getting to know the rest of the park by car and day hikes. The Outer Mountain Loop is the usual bucket-list trip that a lot of people choose if they're just going to Big Bend once for a backpacking experience. Nothing wrong with that, but with only one trip under your belt, it might be a bit much.

Offline WNdx

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 10:41:52 PM »
Tons of great information to mine in the "Trip Reports" and "Suggested Itineraries" sections of the forum. I'd suggest spending some quality time there getting familiar with popular itineraries and first-hand experiences.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 01:33:31 AM »

Since this will be your first time to the park (I assume), I'd recommend a one or two night loop in the Chisos Mountains to the South Rim. You could then spend any extra time you have getting to know the rest of the park by car and day hikes. The Outer Mountain Loop is the usual bucket-list trip that a lot of people choose if they're just going to Big Bend once for a backpacking experience. Nothing wrong with that, but with only one trip under your belt, it might be a bit much.

Outstanding advice
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 10:34:31 AM »

Outstanding advice

+1 Excellent advice.

And, as WNdx pointed out, there is a ton of good advice, and answers to all your questions, to be found in the “Trip Reports” and “Suggested Itineraries” sections of this board.

Enjoy the research. And good luck on your trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Ravenpuff

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 07:44:39 PM »
I did the south rim as an overnight trip for my second ever backpacking trip with my much more experienced at backpacking spouse. I highly recommend it! It was a great way to ease into it and get more familiar with the chisos/ rim trails in preparation for eventually doing the OML. There are lots of great backpacking sites up in the mountains.

Offline Allard.amber

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 09:04:15 AM »

We’ll be going up for spring break,the week of March 11th and will have about 7 days there.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!