Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Food Caching Rule Check

• 13 Replies

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Food Caching Rule Check
« on: February 11, 2018, 07:04:29 PM »
What must I do to drop food out in the desert to be picked up a few days later in the park?  Everyone knows I am a rule follower, and I want to follow the rules.    :engel016:  Hypothetically of course, can I hide a Bear Vault 500 under some cactus with a bunch of food and Old Orchard "juice" in it, and keep the overloads from messing with it if they come across it?
The older I get, the more I realize what freedom really means.  May God bless America

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Food Caching Rule Check
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 07:14:02 PM »
What must I do to drop food out in the desert to be picked up a few days later in the park?  Everyone knows I am a rule follower, and I want to follow the rules.    :engel016:  Hypothetically of course, can I hide a Bear Vault 500 under some cactus with a bunch of food and Old Orchard "juice" in it, and keep the overloads from messing with it if they come across it?

Probably. But now that you've speculated about a hypothetical situation, you are on the watch list kept by the funny hat lurkers on this site. A parkwide pre-violation alert has been issued.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Keepa

• Roadrunner
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 07:20:09 PM »
As Spock told Captain Kirk in the Wrath of Khan, if we go BY THE BOOK, then you can't hide a bear vault. You can do it and hope they don't find it. But if they do they would most likely remove it and that would endanger you. I don't think I would risk it. On the other hand, would they actually remove it knowing that it would endanger a hiker?

You can bury it  8), that's an option. I have seen this done by many people who thru-hike the Hayduke trail, they bury their buckets of resupply to prevent animals from getting at them.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 07:53:07 PM by Keepa »

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »
I have heard tell of folks "hiding" a small food cache in a burlap bag that had been saturated with human smell. 
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 08:28:08 PM »

No hypothetical about it.  Yes you can leave any bear can, put a label on it with your name and date you will pick it up.  Have done it several times with no problems.  The NPS will not mess with it if it is a real bear can and won't endanger you either but they would give you a ticket if not a legal bear can.

I have heard tell of folks "hiding" a small food cache in a burlap bag that had been saturated with human smell. 

This would be a bad idea all around

You can bury it  8), that's an option. I have seen this done by many people who thru-hike the Hayduke trail, they bury their buckets of resupply to prevent animals from getting at them.

Burying is unnecessary with a bear can and would be a violation of park rules.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Keepa

• Roadrunner
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 08:32:10 PM »
So you can do it at Big Bend, I didn't know that. But then I don't understand your original post. What were you driving at?

Offline Cookie

• Golden Eagle
  • Diamondback
  • "you never slow down, you never grow old" T.P.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 08:50:11 PM »
Soooooo.... something like this, but with our name on it?  :eusa_think:

Untitled by Cookie, on Flickr

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 09:29:00 PM »

:s_laugh:
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 06:08:50 AM »

Perfect!
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Peter O

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 01:15:45 PM »
Elhombre,  Mule Ears has it right (of course).  For my hike in December, I left two caches in hard-sided IGBC-approved bear-resistant  containers.  Like you, I wanted to do it in a way that would not violate any park rules.  I checked the 2017 compendium before my trip, which says:

“The caching of food and water by backcountry users is prohibited unless the food and water is stored in a bear-resistant container. ...

The cached food and water must be labeled with the owner’s name and expected date of removal. Water and/or food must be cached at least 100 yards from historic structures, archaeological sites, trails and nonriver water sources.”

The Backcountry Regulations page on the BIBE website has had a similar statement  that “caching of food and water is prohibited unless” you use a certified bear-resistant container.  So for my caches, I put the required labels on the bear-resistant containers and left them at least 100 yards from anything significant.

When I got my permit, the ranger asked what I was doing for water.  I explained how much water I was carrying and briefly described my two caches.  He made no comment, which I hoped meant that I was not in violation of any rules.  Anyway, I tried to follow the rules. 

I left both of my caches in the vicinity of the River Road.  Here is a picture of one of them:

No one messed with them, although this is not surprising.  Given the few people who go out there, it would be pretty remarkable if someone happened to find them.

The BIBE site Backcountry Regulation page, Backcountry Food Storage page, and link to the compendium all seem to be down.  As Mule Ears and others have recently reported, other pages or services have been down also.  I wonder if there is an update going on?  If so, we might need to check for any policy changes before our next hikes. 

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 01:57:25 PM »
I agree that the chances of anyone stumbling upon a well-placed cache are infinitesimal. Still, strange things occur. I usually wrap my BearVault caches up in a black stuffsack and shove them deep under a creosote bush, or sometimes even a cactus. Here are a few pics of past caches.

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 04:51:17 PM »
I agree that the chances of anyone stumbling upon a well-placed cache are infinitesimal. Still, strange things occur. I usually wrap my BearVault caches up in a black stuffsack and shove them deep under a creosote bush, or sometimes even a cactus. Here are a few pics of past caches.

Seriously? Someone or something opened your cache and did not eat the peanut M&M's?

But I think wrapping the vault inside a black bag is an invitation for someone to look inside. Was there anything missing?

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 05:38:19 PM »
Haha! No, no, no. My bad for not being clear. That first photo is of one of my caches that I opened myself. The only thing missing was my hunger after I gobbled up the first 2000 calories for dinner. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 06:12:32 PM »

But I think wrapping the vault inside a black bag is an invitation for someone to look inside.

I wrap my caches in black sacks because I’ve found that otherwise sunlight, flashlights, and headlights can glint off of them and help reveal their location. I do, however, also reproduce all the identifying info (name, dates, etc.) on the outside of the sack, but in a place where it can’t be seen except on close inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!