Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

fresno creek

• 4 Replies

Offline Burn Ban

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
fresno creek
« on: January 13, 2009, 01:59:04 PM »
how far south have you encountered fresno creek.  more specifically where is the furthest down creek that you have found water in great enough amounts to filter?

already starting plans for the next trip out.

thanks.

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
Re: fresno creek
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 08:34:08 PM »
when we were there this past October, TWWG said the water was flowing better than usual and we had plenty of water about 5 miles south of the Fresno Creek camp site. But we kinda split off Fresno creek about 2.5 to 3 miles south of the FC camp site, and headed over to the Elephant Tusk trail for a ways but still had good amounts of water.

Im sure some who were just there may have a more accurate account of current water levels

James

everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 06:57:59 PM »
JamesB is right the creek was flowing very well, better than I have ever seen it before.  It emerged from the sand about 1/3 mile above where the Dodson crosses it and kept going all the way down and (I am sure) through Fresno Canyon.  Fresno Canyon is roughly NE of Elephant Tusk where the springs are marked on the Trails Illustrated map.  The canyon is narrow and contains plunge pools, pour-offs, and rock mills that form bathtub-size pools of water.  There are also scattered Lanceleaf Cottonwood tree's, cattails, frogs, and ferns.  I have never been all the way down through the canyon but according to OKiehiker and others it ends about 2 miles downstream where the creek finally pours out of the canyon and sinks into the sand roughly due ENE of Elephant Tusk on the TI map.   I don't know of any water South of the canyon entrance and would not count on any further down the alluvial fan.  I would really like to go back someday and explore Fresno Canyon in more detail but this area is so remote and rugged it will take me at least a 2 night backpacking trip.   I don't think you could do this as a dayhike unless you got a very early start from the ET trailhead off the Black Gap Road and even then you would probably be rushing the entire day.  As far as I know you can get through Fresno Canyon without any ropes or climbing equipment just be careful and try to keep from faceplanting....TWW G

Offline Burn Ban

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 09:14:06 PM »
it will be more that a day trip.

any desire to faceplant will be preceded by a lesson from stingrey. :eusa_whistle:

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
  • I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back.
    • Mother Nature Framed
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 07:42:02 PM »
I still chuckle about this past October every now and again. Thankfully I was able to get right back and walk out of there!

Note to the squeamish:

If you tear the skin between your fingers, it may not be a good idea to take a good look at the gash in the hot desert sun while you are still about 2 miles from the trailhead!
 :rolling:

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!