Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Full Video of Marufo Vega Trail November 2018

• 11 Replies

Offline Clint Turner

• Kangaroo Rat
Full Video of Marufo Vega Trail November 2018
« on: November 20, 2018, 09:16:21 PM »
Hey guys, my cousin and I completed the Marufo Vega Trail earlier this month.  I've been wanting to do the MVT for many years now and have been putting it off for a while.  I've been reading all of the forums about the MVT and I truly appreciate all of the info here on BBC as it prepared me for a successful hike.  But oddly enough after all of my research I discovered the lack of detailed videos covering  this amazing trail.  So I set out to cover the entire loop in a detailed video to help prepare anyone that is thinking about attempting this trail.

So here it is!

I absolutely enjoyed this trail and I hope you enjoy the video as well!

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: Full Video of Marufo Vega Trail November 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 07:00:21 AM »
Nice video Clint.  Yes the North fork is steep but I find the footing much better than the South fork and it is in the shade.  The South fork is covered with baby head rocks that, to me, are easy to slide or roll on.  I would much rather go down the north and up the south like you did.  Not surprised that the ranger did not know about Split rock, if they had ever read anything or walked the trail they would know about it.

A great return route is to take the alternate fork at the top before the big climb down and drop into Ernst Valley to the Strawhouse trail and follow it back out and through a cool little canyon before it reconnects with the Marufo Vega trail.  It only adds a few tenths of a mile to the trip.

Check your messages I have PM's you.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Slimkitty

• Coyote
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 07:12:46 AM »
Thank you so much for this!  Iíve only hiked a portion of the MV and am determined to eventually hike the whole thing. 

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline Clint Turner

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 07:22:39 AM »
Thank you for watching and I'm glad you've enjoyed it.  The MV has proved to be a tough trail and hopefully it will help others in their preparations for a successful hike!

Offline South Texas Gal

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 05:06:32 PM »
Thanks for posting!  Finally a video that shows the treacherous terrain.  I have been researching this train for a few years.  Certainly not a journey to be taken lightly.  :eusa_naughty:  This trail is on my bucket list.  Out of all the water you took how much was left over?   CONGRATS!
Nature in its infinite beauty can be very unforgiving..

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 07:24:34 PM »
Nice!  That video has such high resolution that you really feel like you are there!  Is that a GoPro?  4k resolution?  I've done the Marufo Vega twice and now my son wants to go so number 3 will be one of our future trips when we get a chance.
There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

Offline Clint Turner

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 07:58:39 AM »
I'm glad you guys are enjoying it! with all of the water we carried I think we finished with about 1.5 liters each.  When we made it back to our cached water topped off our reservoirs and used half of the gallon to mix up some electrolytes.  This is definitely a trail you'd want to bring too much water for. Even with the cooler temperatures I still sweated so much that my face was covered with salt... (check out the part after we set up camp) 

And as for resolution, this was all from my GoPro that I carry below my handle on my trekking pole. I always video at 1080res@60FPS. (set at the MED field of view as the wide angle is too hard to watch) Good luck on your 3rd trip... this is a great time of year to do it!

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 06:44:20 PM »
Good stuff, Clint.  Thanks for sharing your vids.

Sent from my Note 8 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Clint Turner

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 08:31:17 PM »

Thank you! I enjoy making them! I'm hoping do Mariscal Canyon real soon too!

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 03:10:30 PM »

Thank you! I enjoy making them! I'm hoping do Mariscal Canyon real soon too!
Can't wait for that one.  This is something I've been wanting to document on to Virtual Big Bend for 15 years. Nice work.

Offline Clint Turner

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 06:52:32 PM »
Thank you! I used Virtual Big Bend to plan my first trip to BBNP over 8 years ago...itís great!

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 07:57:21 PM »
Thank you! I used Virtual Big Bend to plan my first trip to BBNP over 8 years ago...itís great!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!