Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Grapevine Hills

• 2 Replies

Offline Txsandi

• Kangaroo Rat
Grapevine Hills
« on: November 22, 2008, 09:26:39 AM »
Has anyone hiked form Grapevine hIlls east to the main road?
 I know it'd be cross-country and would have a shuttle aranged. Comments on this welcome.

Offline Roy

• Mountain Lion
Re: Grapevine Hills
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 12:01:01 PM »
A couple of years ago I tried this from the other direction;  headed for Grapevine Spring from the road.  Had to give up due to the heavy growth in the wash that leads to the spring.  If you can find a starting point that avoids the brushy area you should be fine.  Once you clear the hills,  I'd head for those two big hoodos you can see to the west of the main road, they're worth seeing close up, then head straight east to the road.  If you do it, please post some pics and a description for us;  should be a really nice hike

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Grapevine Hills
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 02:16:41 PM »
Has anyone hiked form Grapevine hIlls east to the main road?
 I know it'd be cross-country and would have a shuttle aranged. Comments on this welcome.

Just go do it! Cross-country hikes are the best...you get to see things the tourists who stick with the trail guide never experience.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!