Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Long Time No Visit

• 5 Replies

Offline Verduretiger

• Golden Eagle
  • Coyote
Long Time No Visit
« on: June 30, 2017, 12:25:48 PM »
It has been several years since I have visited this site and Big Bend.  Having made many trips to Big Bend over the last 30 years -  I am now 70 years old.  I was asked 3 years ago to move to Atlanta to start up a new trust department for a large Atlanta based bank.  That has taken all of my time and sucked a lot of the life out of me. 

No more.  I have lost over 30 pounds and armed with the latest in ultra-light backpacking gear (developed a bad back when I was over weight), I am taking my son and 8 year old grandson to Big Bend the day after Christmas.  A long drive for me (they live in New Orleans) but excitement abounds.  Jeep camping in the back country and a couple of overnight backpacks await me. 

Truly looking forward to the visit and getting back into this site. 

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: Long Time No Visit
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 12:49:11 PM »
Welcome back Verduretiger!  I was thinking the other day we had not heard from you in a while.  Glad to hear that you are ready to get back out there and introducing the younger folks too!
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 12:59:39 PM »
Great to hear how you are doing.

Great, also, to hear about your upcoming trip.

How did you lose that weight?
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 06:52:22 PM »
Welcome back!!

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 07:32:46 AM »
So whats on the agenda ?

Offline Verduretiger

• Golden Eagle
  • Coyote
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 01:06:18 PM »
It is good to be back to the site for several reasons:
Business is good enough where I can take some time off
I miss Big Bend and I get to introduce my grandson to this masterpiece
I am in much better physical shape - hired a nutritionist who finally convinced me it was not a diet but a lifestyle change (70 years old and making a lifestyle change)
Hired a personal trainer to bust my butt 3 days a week - 32 pounds and still counting.

My plan is to do spend a couple of nights out on the Dodson trail maybe starting at the Juniper/Dodson trailhead, then go down Smoky a ways and then around to the ranch house.  Nothing too terrible but getting back into the desert side of things.  I really like the desert better that the mountains.   Then do some jeep camping then maybe an overnight down to Dominquez if water reports are favorable.   

I am too old to go back down Fresno Creek to the plunge pools.  I will let the younger guys do that. 

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!