Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

significant water in Oak Creek near Slickrock & Rough Run right now

• 2 Replies

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
Confirmed info that there's water in Oak Creek, probably in this spring/tinaja, which is in between Oak/Rough Run intersection, and Oak/Slickrock-access intersection:

http://trtlrock.smugmug.com/Travel/Feb-2007-Big-Bend-National/0214-Day-02-Rough-Run-to-Onion/6939127_nfRGKJ#!i=444402854&k=eJ8yz&lb=1&s=A

http://trtlrock.smugmug.com/Travel/Feb-2007-Big-Bend-National/0214-Day-02-Rough-Run-to-Onion/6939127_nfRGKJ#!i=444403346&k=p5wE5&lb=1&s=A

My bro and I put out a water cache near some springs (the name escapes) in Rough Run ca. the Slickrock and Oak Creek drainages...I was exhilarated to know I had hauled water to the place, where we could have just about floated a canoe.

edit -- the pics are from 2007 -- definitely enough to float a canoe, so probably less than this right now...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 06:07:38 PM by trtlrock »
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline Vince T

• Black Bear
Re: significant water in Oak Creek near Slickrock & Rough Run right now
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 02:47:21 PM »
I've been in that spot, and have similar pictures since we went after a 2" rain.  Very cool!

Offline sleepy

• Black Bear
  • i'm not a terrorist
Re: significant water in Oak Creek near Slickrock & Rough Run right now
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 04:33:27 PM »
I know that spot well.  Have seen if full and seen it dry.  Good to see that water.  Probably some water in the springs/seeps north of the confluence.  :great:
It's never too late to be what you might have been-Geroge Elliot

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!