Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

MDA Rim Traverse

• 22 Replies

Offline YoungHiker

• Kangaroo Rat
  • Think smarter, so you can work harder.
Re: MDA Rim Traverse
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 06:40:07 AM »
If you are going to do the rtrtr, or just hike down the NR, Ribbon Falls is a definite side trip! Itís less then 15 minutes (probably less) off the main trail. I have hiked all over Colorado, Utah, and BiBe, and it is definitely one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful places Iíve ever been.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory  
Do or do not, there is no try ~Yoda

Offline Cookie

• Golden Eagle
  • Diamondback
  • "you never slow down, you never grow old" T.P.
~
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 06:46:19 AM »
If you are going to do the rtrtr, or just hike down the NR, Ribbon Falls is a definite side trip! Itís less then 15 minutes (probably less) off the main trail. I have hiked all over Colorado, Utah, and BiBe, and it is definitely one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful places Iíve ever been.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

DSC04720 by Cookie, on Flickr

DSC04738 by Cookie, on Flickr

+1 on what YoungHiker said!! Ribbon falls is a magical place! I would not miss it!

~Cookie

Offline Lissa

• Coyote
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 07:41:46 AM »
Awesome! Ribbon falls side trip on the docket. And I wonít show my friends the pics so they can be happily surprised :)

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 03:01:15 PM »

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Sorry, I thought this was somewhere off the MDA in Big Bend

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 07:04:16 PM by The Scorpion »
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 03:18:17 PM »
OK nobody tell him about Elves Chasm, Toroweap, Mooney Falls, the Confluence, Havasu Creek, Nankoweap, Thunder River, Royal Arch, Horseshoe Mesa, etc etc

I will admit that the first couple of times I went to GC, I was kind of a peak snob, but I've really grown to love it; amazing place.

Offline Lissa

• Coyote
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2019, 04:29:16 PM »
Back on this thread looking for water insights for next trip.

But SteelFrog, YoungHiker and Cookie **Thank you** for ribbon falls tip.  Added some mileage for us (backtracking as the bridge is out) and was touch and go on the way in -folks weíre NOT feeling the extra side trip.  But we went early Sept and one of our group was really struggling with the heat and the time at Rainbow Falls was a game changer.  Absolutely magical spot to cool off and regroup.  And I did in fact keep it a secret so they were all totally surprised by it, which was just fantastic.  It was really a pretty magical highlight of a long, hot day.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 05:42:46 PM »
I had missed the middle parts of this thread when they were posted. Just now saw them after I got a notification of Lissa's latest post. For just a moment, I though Cookie's pictures were from MDA and I fell out of my chair. I'm sending you guys the chiropractor's bill.

:icon_lol:
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2019, 09:15:03 PM »
Back on this thread looking for water insights for next trip.

But SteelFrog, YoungHiker and Cookie **Thank you** for ribbon falls tip.  Added some mileage for us (backtracking as the bridge is out) and was touch and go on the way in -folks weíre NOT feeling the extra side trip.  But we went early Sept and one of our group was really struggling with the heat and the time at Rainbow Falls was a game changer.  Absolutely magical spot to cool off and regroup.  And I did in fact keep it a secret so they were all totally surprised by it, which was just fantastic.  It was really a pretty magical highlight of a long, hot day.

Awesome. I was at Ribbon falls last weekend during my 19th RtR. Never gets old.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!