Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Memorial Day weekend suggestions?

• 7 Replies

Offline Mindy

• Kangaroo Rat
Memorial Day weekend suggestions?
« on: May 22, 2018, 02:31:21 PM »
OK, I know probably the best suggestion is: Don't come here on Memorial Day weekend, crazy woman!

But it's the only extended time off (five days, three non-travel days) I have til the fall (when I will also come to Big Bend!), and Big Bend is my favorite place on the planet. So... here I come.

I take all the great advice you long-timers post here very seriously, especially the heat-related stuff. But given that I *am* coming this week, and I'm not super keen on hiking all the way up into the Chisos (did all that the first and second trips), any advice about not-high-Chisos, not-lower-elevation-completely-miserable  day hikes? Have a campsite in the Basin, so will be heading out from there each day.

My thoughts after looking around on here and in Parent's book:

1. Window and Oak Spring (as an out and back from the Basin or maybe from the lower trail head, though that doesn't seem to make as much sense except to be going downhill on the return leg)
2. Mule Ears out to Smoky Creek (and maybe Smoky Spring, though this whole thing seems less appealing the more I watch the temperature forecast)
3. Dog Canyon (and maybe the horseshoe route over to and down Devil's Den) or just Devil's Den
4. Persimmon Gap Draw (for the oldest rocks in the park)
5. (BBRSP) Rancherias Canyon

I appreciate any thoughts you all have about those options and any other suggestions you have!

PS. I made an OML attempt last fall but never made a trip report. It was a pretty epic fail (counterclockwise from Homer Wilson), and I had to come back after the first night (plantar fasciitis). But other than the pain (and getting massively sidetracked in washes a couple times), the little stretch of the Dodson I experienced (to Fresno Creek) was lovely. (And not a little terrifying.)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:32:42 PM by Mindy »

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
Re: Memorial Day weekend suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 03:44:15 PM »

Pine Canyon is a possibility.  The first (and last) mile or so are out in the open, but the canyon itself is shady and beautiful.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 04:22:57 PM »
2. Mule Ears out to Smoky Creek (and maybe Smoky Spring, though this whole thing seems less appealing the more I watch the temperature forecast)
3. Dog Canyon (and maybe the horseshoe route over to and down Devil's Den) or just Devil's Den

Both of these are going to be pretty hot, with almost no shade.  If you decide to hike down low, make sure you start EARLY, take plenty of water, and try to finish before 11-12:00.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 10:54:23 PM »
I hiked Rancherias Canyon in May of 2000. It got very warm. Pine Canyon would be much more enjoyable. Closed Canyon might be cool, comparatively speaking.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 04:07:25 AM »
Have you done Lost Mine trail?  Easily accessible from the Basin, up high and cool, but not nearly as long as climbing up into the high Chisos.

If you are comfortable going off trail, within the Basin itself exist several possibilities:
Ascending Casa Grande
Maple Canyon
Telephone Pole Canyon
Exploring Boulder Meadows

Stay high, stay cool, and think outside the box

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 06:43:14 AM »
Just got back - we spent 4 days there - only one down low. We did some short walks off of the river road (170) in the State Park. It was 104 degrees. It was ok because we could retreat to the a/c of the car every hour or so.  I'd stay in the mountains or put together a mostly driving and short walking itinerary.

Offline Mindy

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 11:37:17 AM »
Thanks for the input, everyone!

A few questions:

Is Pine Canyon trailhead accessible in a (small) rental car? (Parent's book says high clearance usually needed for Glenn Spring and Pine Canyon roads.)

Where is Telephone Pole Canyon? (I can find Telephone Canyon when I search, but that's obviously not the one you're talking about.)

I'm looking through all the Casa Grande threads, but does anyone have a spit ball of total time out and back if I did that one? ( I see that Lost Mine Trail is 3-4 hours round trip. I assume Case Grande would be longer, but by how much?)

Thanks again!
M

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 11:54:51 AM »
Thanks for the input, everyone!

A few questions:

Is Pine Canyon trailhead accessible in a (small) rental car? (Parent's book says high clearance usually needed for Glenn Spring and Pine Canyon roads.)

Where is Telephone Pole Canyon? (I can find Telephone Canyon when I search, but that's obviously not the one you're talking about.)

I'm looking through all the Casa Grande threads, but does anyone have a spit ball of total time out and back if I did that one? ( I see that Lost Mine Trail is 3-4 hours round trip. I assume Case Grande would be longer, but by how much?)

Thanks again!
M

Pine Canyon COULD be done in a small rental. Depends on the latest road conditions, how much clearance the vehicle has, and how you drive. Probably not the best idea with a small rental car.

Telephone Pole Canyon runs from the Basin, and over a saddle on the NW side of Mt Huffman. It follows the powerline from the Basin. It is a very brushy approach from the Basin.

Allow 5+ hours for Casa Grande. Depends on how much time you want to spend on top.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!