Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Mesa de Anguila trip Report

• 17 Replies

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
Mesa de Anguila trip Report
« on: February 22, 2015, 01:30:06 PM »
Here's a late report report on the MDA out to the point.  My cousin and I made it out to the point a few days after Christmas.  We camped at Canyon Flag for two nights and day hiked out to the end of the mesa.  Tinaja Blanca had a lot of water.  In fact there was a small pool of 15-20 gallons in the wash before you get to the actual tinaja.  We ended up bringing plenty and didn't have to filter any.  Didn't check out any other tinajas.  Saw a large group of Aoudad at the giant cairn and herd of cows at the MDA trail and Entrance Camp trail intersection.  Stopped and poked around the sinkhole.  We had GREAT weather and made it off the trail on the road before the snow started.  When we left Terlingua it was 65 and when we got pulled out to be searched at the Alpine checkpoint, it was 20!  I'll let the pictures do most the talking.

La Mariposa coming into view

You can't tell, but my cousin is most of the way up the side of Canyon Flag.

Our view from camp into Mexico.

Three sisters

Chisos from the mesa rim.

Made it!!!!!

The next series of pics is pretty cool.  As I was sitting on the point, I hear a plane and finally see it flying above the canyon.  Just before reaching the end of the canyon, he dives down below the rim and flies out the mouth!

My cousin waking the rim.

Looking back at the Chisos and the Point.  That "gentle" rise is deceiving.....

Last night sunset

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
Re: Mesa de Anguila trip Report
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 01:34:54 PM »
Great report; thanks Ag!

Offline Andreas

• Diamondback
  • A gun gives you the body not the bird. HD Thoreau
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 01:39:14 PM »
Glad you had a great time! Thx for sharing the TR and awesome photos!  :13:
"Any time you're throwin dirt you're losin ground."

Cormac McCarthy, No Country for Old Men

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 02:07:06 PM »
Great report, that plane flying out the mouth must have gotten peoples attention down on the trail!   :eusa_clap:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Homer67

• Passionate Backpacker
  • Black Bear
  • Be Amazing.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 02:56:19 PM »
Awesome!  I am so ready for the mesa!
Ah Big Bend, we will soon return to reacquaint ourselves in our ritual of blood, exhaustion and dehydration. How can we resist the temptation to strip ourselves of the maladies of civilization?

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 03:15:34 PM »
Great report and photos. Turns out we were both out on the Mesa at the same time. I saw that plane but can't remember which day and I wasn't on the point at the time. I might have seen him on more than one day. It looked like he was coming from Terlingua.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 03:28:16 PM »
Thanks for the report!

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 03:36:30 PM »
Great report and photos. Turns out we were both out on the Mesa at the same time. I saw that plane but can't remember which day and I wasn't on the point at the time. I might have seen him on more than one day. It looked like he was coming from Terlingua.
I bet you saw the plane the same day we did.  We saw it flying around that morning, and then didn't see it again until lunch at the point.  After that we didn't see him again.

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 03:43:59 PM »
Awesome!  I am so ready for the mesa!
The mesa it self was easier than I was anticipating.  Once you get pass the initial climb, it's relatively flat for BIBE.  It took us 4 hours to get to Canyon Flag.  We were feeling good and wished we had packed in a six pack of "cold barley soup".  The day we went to the point was long and we were tired by the time we got back to camp.  Once the trail peters out, it's rough going.  Like everyone says, the ground is covered with fist sized rocks.

Offline tusker

• Coyote
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 11:05:35 PM »
Great report and photos.  To be on the point and see the airplane must have been thrilling!

Thank you.

Offline Demon Deacon

• Coyote
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 06:12:04 AM »
Awesome photos. I found myself wondering about the view from up there.

Also, that plane flew by us at the South Rim in January. We saw it way below us, lost sight, and then the next thing we knew it was right in front of us. It looks farther away than it really was in this photo. We also heard a plane when we were a few miles into Santa Elena by canoe, which I assumed was Border Patrol.

Joe waving to a plane at 7,400 feet.
by AndrewNewton, on Flickr

Offline Talusman

• Black Bear
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 07:58:24 AM »
Very nice! The picture of the Aoudad is really cool. I never have a camera out fast enough to catch them when I've been hiking. Only seen them at Guadalupe and hope to see them there one day. Great photos from top of the canyon. A view most people will not see. Well done!
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
Wow, great report, amazing views! In regards to the plane, we saw a nearly identical plane several times a few years ago on the ore terminal trail. We saw it touch down on the mesa between boquillas and the sierras. You can see a landing strip there in Google earth.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 09:25:53 AM »
TexasAggieHiker.

Thanks for the report - makes me long for the Bend.

I have a question for you - was there a circle of rocks at the camping place by Canyon Flag?
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 10:57:10 AM »
Nice!  Makes me want to get back up there and do that hike again.  Those views are amazing.  It looks like you camped at about the same spot as I did. 
There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!