Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Mesa De Anguilla via Bruja Canyon

• 16 Replies

Offline travii99

• Jack Rabbit
« on: April 03, 2006, 12:15:28 PM »
Has anyone ever hiked from Terlingua Abaja over to Bruja Canyon and taken the rock scramble up to the top of the Mesa?  I have wanted to do this, then hike east over to the rim at the mouth of Santa Elena Canyon.  It looks like it would be 6 miles one way (if I remember correctly) and might be rough terrain up top, but would be worth it for the views of the depest part of the canyon...

I have hiked to Bruja Canyon, very easy cross desert hike.  Apparently there is a route up the canyon, but it isn't IN the canyon, its near it,and requires some somewhat exposed scrambling on very rough limestone.  Sounds fun!!

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 12:59:27 PM »
it's a 5th class "scramble", though it's more of a climb. don't expect to just hop right up the canyon. it's 3 miles to Bruja from terlingua Abaja, and at least 4 miles once you get past the intial difficulties in the canyon. that would make for a long day, especially if the top of the mesa is difficult terrain.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 12:59:30 PM »
Never been there, but there was some discussion on that route in a previous thread:
http://www.bigbendchat.com/viewtopic.php?p=4111#4111

Offline travii99

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 04:53:42 PM »
Oops, sorry.  I don't know how I missed that one.  Its always nice to show ones bright side!

Offline WL2

• Black Bear
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 04:47:01 PM »
Richard says 'Google is my friend'.  In this case he is right and wrong.  The following link is a set of pictures from Mesa De Anguila, but if you click on it, you will start a 70 MB download of pictures.  If you got a high speed connection and more than a few minutes to kill then you can see some pictures from the top.  And as I understand it not many get to the top and fewer still publish pictures.

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~moore/personal/big-bend-photos/index.html

Offline WL2

• Black Bear
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 04:50:30 PM »
Here is another 'good news / bad news' link.  It is a nps.gov site that downloads a map of the mesa in .pdf format.  The only problem is everytime I download the map it locks up my application.  You may have better luck, but be forwarned.

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/backcountry/MdA_handout.pdf

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 04:59:18 PM »
Quote from: "WL2"
Richard says 'Google is my friend'.  In this case he is right and wrong.  The following link is a set of pictures from Mesa De Anguila, but if you click on it, you will start a 70 MB download of pictures.  If you got a high speed connection and more than a few minutes to kill then you can see some pictures from the top.  And as I understand it not many get to the top and fewer still publish pictures.

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~moore/personal/big-bend-photos/index.html

Looks like the guy who put this page together doesn't understand the concept of thumbnails which link to the full-size pics.  It looks he just specified a size in the html for the pseudo-thumbnails which use the full-size images.  What's embarassing is this site hosted on the UT Computer Science domain.  Even with a high-speed connection it still just crapped out my PC's virtual memory.   :x

Offline WL2

• Black Bear
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 05:07:55 PM »
Yes, if you back up the URL you find he is a head of a department in computer science.  I got a 2GB memory media edition computer and it still started acting funny before the upload finished.  But, if you get it to upload there are some really great pictures from the top.

Maybe he visits this site sometime.  Doc, if you ever visit this site we would love to see those pictures as a more upload friendly set.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 05:19:06 PM »
Yes, if you back up the URL you find he is a head of a department in computer science.  I got a 2GB memory media edition computer and it still started acting funny before the upload finished.  But, if you get it to upload there are some really great pictures from the top.

Maybe he visits this site sometime.  Doc, if you ever visit this site we would love to see those pictures as a more upload friendly set.

He's got an email contact listed at his main site.  Give him a shout and suggest he try out one of the Image Resizers.

I had to "save as" a complete web page (I wandered off and let it download while scamming free candy from someone's desk), then resized all pics to small so my PC wouldn't hang up like it did with the full-size pics.

Offline WL2

• Black Bear
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 05:26:18 PM »
For all you who cannot get the page to work here are a few selected photos.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 05:32:44 PM »
For all you who cannot get the page to work here are a few selected photos.

You missed my favorite:

Titled "blue sky" and weighing in at only 406730 bytes at its original size of 2048x1536 pixels.  :D

Offline Windchime

• Diamondback
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 06:31:35 PM »
I have done this hike, but it is a female dog...did the Mesa from the Lajitis side, up through the saddle. Did not leave early enough..like 3am..to get to the rim. This is some of the most spectacular scenery in the park...bar none. Did it on New Year's Eve back in early 90's...staying in a Terlingua Ranch Lodge cabin...started to sleet as we came off of the Mesa.  There was a New Year's Party in the lodge...hell...we were between the sheets by 7:30pm...exhausted.  It is a  recommended winter hike only, but well worth it.
Thanks for the pictures...will probably not get up there again, but readily recognized the scenery...
The opinion expressed above is my own and not that of the National Park Service or the Federal Government.

SHANEA

PDF SUX
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 07:35:24 PM »
.pdf format.  The only problem is everytime I download the map it locks up my application.  You may have better luck, but be forwarned.

PDF's started out as a "fair concept", but anymore PDF's sux - different formats, takes a long time to load with all the plug in's, etc.  Seems like you have to continually upgrade to Adobe's new reader release.  Skip the PDF and do it in HTML instead.  When I have a choice on a search, I always select the HTML version.

SHANEA

Boundry Line
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 07:36:27 PM »
What's the boundry line - BIBE and BBRSP or BIBE and Lajitas?

SHANEA

Opened
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 07:51:22 PM »
It finally opened up for me.  I just let it sit there and codgitate for a while.  If I can get it to print, I'll scan it in and post it.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!