Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Persimmon Gap

• 12 Replies

Offline TxGypsyGal

• Brandi 😌❤️
  • Kangaroo Rat
Persimmon Gap
« on: August 25, 2019, 12:55:20 PM »
I know its early, but i.usually plan for months before these BB trips. I've been wanting to hike Persimmon Gap the last 3 years, but the trail is not well marked and the visitor center folks across from the "trailhead" didn't seem knowledgeable last year about the exact route. I have a decent trail guide book I've used for years, but for some reason that trail always intimidates me once I get going on it. Maybe it's because I'm down in a wash and can't see the lay of the land or maybe it's the unnerving amount of mountain lion poop that seems to always be there, but I never make it far before losing my nerve! No other trail makes me nervous like that one, but I really want to hike it and and see the geology in that area of the park. Any locals on the forum that would be up offering a guide on this trail next March when we return? I take 5 kids along, 3 of my own, my niece and nephew. They are seasoned hikers after the last 3 years at BB

Sent from my SM-N960U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
Re: Persimmon Gap
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 03:00:59 PM »
The thing about PG trail is after awhile you come out of the arroyo and start up the hill (via a small pouroff) you can turn around and see the visitors center. No danger of getting lost if thats what worries you. At the top of the hill you can find whats left of the barbwire fence that is the park boundary, and see Hwy 2625 in the distance (heading to La Linda).  I've only done it once in recent times, don't remember alot of mountain lion scat. I think there may be some cairns to help along the route.

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 03:03:34 PM »
For a long time I've wanted to climb up onto that ridge east of the visitors center there and hike/climb it all the way to Dog Canyon; anyone know anything about that?

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 05:42:33 PM »
I did it many years ago, the further you get back in there the thicker the scratchy/poky bushes get. We got up to an area with a decent view

there really is no trail, but you can find your way up the wash easily. Just study the map of the wash area very good

when we took the wash we stayed to the left, there are 3 branches to the wash and we took the one on the lest
29.661299, -103.170144

I will look for my pics online and post back here
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 07:12:32 PM »
For a long time I've wanted to climb up onto that ridge east of the visitors center there and hike/climb it all the way to Dog Canyon; anyone know anything about that?

Nice idea
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline TxGypsyGal

• Brandi 😌❤️
  • Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 07:21:06 PM »
The thing about PG trail is after awhile you come out of the arroyo and start up the hill (via a small pouroff) you can turn around and see the visitors center. No danger of getting lost if thats what worries you. At the top of the hill you can find whats left of the barbwire fence that is the park boundary, and see Hwy 2625 in the distance (heading to La Linda).  I've only done it once in recent times, don't remember alot of mountain lion scat. I think there may be some cairns to help along the route.
Alan- Thank you! I didn't realize it came up out of the wash and that I'd be able to see the center. That makes a great deal of difference. When hiking with kids, I'm obviously abundantly cautious and this makes me feel much better!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline wotantx

• Roadrunner
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 06:00:56 AM »
You may find some additional help here:

http://prism-redfern.org/bbvirtualtrip/persimmon/persimmon.html

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 08:13:06 AM »
Follow the creek bed all the way up and you will see all the cool old rocks.  The creek trends to the north-east as it makes it's way through the ridge.  Just stay in the creek bottom, and your fine.  Persimmon peak will be up to your right, and is a good land mark to keep your bearings.   The trail starts where the ranger working the pay booth parks his car.  It may not seem like a trail at first due to the growth, but you know you're in the creek bed by the dirt you're walking in.  It's real easy to tell that you are walking in dirt that was washed down by water.

If you want a great view up on top of Persimmon peak, there is an animal trail through the rock face that is Class 2+.  As mentioned earlier, head out of the creek river left when you get close to the end of it.  You first make it to the saddle where the park fence line is located.  From there, head up towards the right where the animal trail comes through the rock face.  I't a pretty obvious ramp seen from the saddle.  From the top of the rock face on the animal trail, turn back to the left and head up to the peak.  What I found surprising from up on top is you can still see the old roads that are burned into the desert that make their way to Dog Canyon.  The original Old Ore Road.  That, and  stinky Audad.

Here is a quick map of the trail up to the top.  It is a great hike.  You can't missed spying some of the oldest rock in the park, because it really stands out when compared to the rest of the area.

https://mapper.acme.com/?ll=29.65796,-103.16265&z=15&t=U&marker0=29.65998%2C-103.16072%2Cunnamed&marker1=29.65934%2C-103.16244%2Cunnamed&marker2=29.65863%2C-103.16205%2Cunnamed

The ridge run looked very doable.  It's on my list too!  I figured park at Dog Canyon, and it should be no problem bumming a ride up to the entrance booth from a passing car.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:19:42 AM by elhombre »
For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 05:49:36 PM »
By looking at the map, the nearest Park boundary corner east of the saddle is almost another 1/2 mile to the northeast, so that fence may be something legacy?  :eusa_eh:

On the ridge run, I've often thought it would be cool to hike the length of Dagger Mountain.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 11:00:54 PM »
By looking at the map, the nearest Park boundary corner east of the saddle is almost another 1/2 mile to the northeast, so that fence may be something legacy?  :eusa_eh:

On the ridge run, I've often thought it would be cool to hike the length of Dagger Mountain.

It's probably pretty rough up on that ridge
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 09:09:36 AM »
Dagger Mtn vid: 

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 12:10:36 PM »
Dagger Mtn vid: 
Thanks for the video on Dagger Mountain  :great:  Looks pretty rugged on top, but lots of dagger plants!  :eusa_think:

Offline ZachTeich

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 01:50:42 PM »
Flash,
There was a decent amount of vegetation, from what I can remember, but it wasn't too bad. I don't remember it being extremely rocky everywhere, but in places I think it was.  That would be neat to walk the whole length of it though.  I'll have to keep in mind for future videos to describe the difficulty of the terrain more than I usually do, and/or show it more on video.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!