Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Question on Oak Spring water...

• 12 Replies

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Question on Oak Spring water...
« on: August 01, 2018, 12:43:31 PM »
Curious if the water at Oak Spring is accessible to a hiker or if it is fenced off.  Would appreciate photos, if anyone can post them, of the spring area up close. 

Thanks,

Flash

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Re: Question on Oak Spring water...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 01:57:56 PM »
Curious if the water at Oak Spring is accessible to a hiker or if it is fenced off.  Would appreciate photos, if anyone can post them, of the spring area up close. 

Thanks,

Flash

Its fenced. The water tank, pump station and piping/valves are inside the fence. I might have a photo somewhere.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 03:53:29 PM »
The last memory me and the misses have of the spring, there was water running on the ground that could be pumped.  Are you looking to pump spring water?
The Tolerant Left  Masters of the Universe at Apple, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, Criteo, Vimeo and Spotify removed Alex Jones and other conservative voices.  Liberals control every newspaper and cable network except Fox.

What's your Social Credit Score?

May God Bless America

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 08:22:27 PM »
I am considering the prospects of picking up some spring water from Oak Creek whether pumped or scooped or filled from a nice convenient tap. So  are you saying there is some spill over from the spring that flows out of the fenced in area?

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 08:23:25 AM »
Below the mechanical stuff, in the creek bed, we saw water and a bunch of cattails.  There was a trail from the road heading down to the wet stuff. Cookie and I discussed it again, and it may have been 8 - 10 years ago.  Ahhh,  Big Bend Time.  The park may be sucking that spring down so deep now that the water no longer hits the surface.  Sorry, not very good info for planning a hike.

If it ain't running, I would think anyone driving by would gladly give you some at the Sam Nail Ranch.
The Tolerant Left  Masters of the Universe at Apple, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, Criteo, Vimeo and Spotify removed Alex Jones and other conservative voices.  Liberals control every newspaper and cable network except Fox.

What's your Social Credit Score?

May God Bless America

Offline BIBEARCH

• Coyote
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 08:36:19 AM »
Water flow at Oak Spring is highly variable for 150gpm to less than 5gpm. Like most water sources in the Big Bend, it comes from a small aquifer in the talus slope on the west slope of Vernon Bailey Peak. Low flow rate during drought periods is insufficient for any overflow from the spring catchment box and all the water is ducked up and pumped into the Basin. The NPS advises hikers to not rely on springs.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Big Bend Chat mobile app

The opinion expressed above is my own and not that of the National Park Service or the Federal government.

"Government of the people, by the people, for the people . . . people hey, that's us!"? - Swami Beyondananda

Offline BIBEARCH

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 08:37:51 AM »
Dang autocorrect... "Sucked" up and pumped into the Basin...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Big Bend Chat mobile app

The opinion expressed above is my own and not that of the National Park Service or the Federal government.

"Government of the people, by the people, for the people . . . people hey, that's us!"? - Swami Beyondananda

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 12:36:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  :)   I'm just checking the feasibility of an optional water source for a potential ramble late this fall.  :eusa_think:

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 12:55:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  :)   I'm just checking the feasibility of an optional water source for a potential ramble late this fall.  :eusa_think:

Cattail isn't far from there.....
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 01:36:13 PM »

True indeed, however I may be heading the other way...

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 02:43:53 PM »

True indeed, however I may be heading the other way...

Croton Spring is  "the other way"?
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 01:06:12 PM »

Its fenced. The water tank, pump station and piping/valves are inside the fence. I might have a photo somewhere.

If you do have any photos, that would be great!   :eusa_think:

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 09:32:36 PM »

Realized last night that I had my own picture of Oak Spring and the Tanks from my July trip! So this is looking down from the overlook on the Oak Spring Trail high above the Window Pouroff. The green spot in the center is the general spring area of which part is enclosed in fencing.

- Flash

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!