Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Telephone Canyon

• 2 Replies

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
Telephone Canyon
« on: November 26, 2008, 02:38:11 PM »
I've hiked and backpacked extensively in BB, but very little in the SE part.

Can anyone give me any suggestions regarding backpacking from Ore Road through Telephone Canyon and back?  Difficulty?  Water?  Features?   We're thinking about doing it in late February.  Thanks!
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline sleepy

• Black Bear
  • i'm not a terrorist
Re: Telephone Canyon
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 05:22:33 PM »
I'd be very interested, as well.  Camped at TC 2 last visit and it was a sweet spot.  The views into the canyon look incredible.  The road is passable in a 2WD high clearance vehicle.  That I know.

It's never too late to be what you might have been-Geroge Elliot

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: Telephone Canyon
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 07:13:06 PM »
There is a pretty good thread here if you haven't already found it. http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/hiking-the-desert/came-through-here-in-dec-2004-t3255.0.html

No water at all, the only real difficult part is the climb up and over the Dead Horse mountains and into Telephone Canyon itself, not a hard climb but you do have to watch for the trail. There is lots to explore in side canyons, etc. if you have the time and water.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!