Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

trail heading north from Dorgan House ruins

• 11 Replies

Offline tortuga

• Jack Rabbit
trail heading north from Dorgan House ruins
« on: February 02, 2020, 03:11:02 PM »
You've probably figured out that I spend way too much of my free time looking at BBNP on Google Maps.

I noticed a trail heading north from the Dorgan House ruins.  See attached satellite view screenshot with the trail highlighted in yellow.  It stretches for a couple of miles before fading away.  Does anyone know if there's anything interesting on this trail?  It looks like it might be fun to explore for those of us, like me, who are not yet ready for hardcore off-trail hiking but who want to see the "out of the way" places.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
Re: trail heading north from Dorgan House ruins
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 04:27:52 PM »
Lance's Big Bend Project shows it as an old road that runs north.  About 4 miles north, it intersects Maverick Rd, just west of Luna's Jacal, then continues for another mile where it intersects another north/south road.  Beyond that point, it proceeds approx another two miles, where it ends in a wash, just west of Rattlesnake Mt.

Lance's map shows some ruins and cemeteries in that area.  Might be fun to explore that area.

Thanks for opening up another can of worms  :icon_biggrin:

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 04:33:37 PM »
When I say the road ends, I mean the purple line on the map disappears.  If you zoom in on Google Earth, the trail is still visible beyond the wash, as are some structures.

Offline tortuga

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 04:39:40 PM »
^Thanks!  So interesting!  I'm always amazed by how much knowledge there is on BBC. 

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 04:58:35 PM »
I followed that road about a mile or a mile and a half north of the Dorgan House - the old road bed isn't exactly obvious, but it does contrast enough with the undisturbed ground to be followed
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline tortuga

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 05:19:18 PM »
^Good to know.  As a newbie to being outdoors, I still panic when I get to a point on a trail where I seem to have lost it. 

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 05:26:27 PM »
It was an interesting walk.  My curiosity was caught by your op. 

Standing at the Dorgan House, that faint old road just sorta pulls you along its route.   

JALCO's explanation fits the assumptions I made as I walked.  Come to think of it, there might even be some brief explanation of that road on a sign at the Dorgan House.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline tortuga

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 05:31:41 PM »
Come to think of it, there might even be some brief explanation of that road on a sign at the Dorgan House.

I'll go see and report back when I visit next in October.  I'm so excited to go now.

Offline BigBendGuide.com

• BigBendGuide.com
  • Kangaroo Rat
  • To help educate conservation and respect
    • Big Bend Guide
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 05:08:45 PM »
You've probably figured out that I spend way too much of my free time looking at BBNP on Google Maps.

This statement is my spirit animal.
https://bigbendguide.com
@BigBendGuide (Instagram & Twitter)

Offline tortuga

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 07:51:31 PM »

Another kindred spirit found here!

Offline wotantx

• Golden Eagle
  • Coyote
  • The [desert] is calling and I must go.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 06:20:13 AM »

Mine, too.

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Golden Eagle
  • Diamondback
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 08:19:53 PM »
+1
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!