Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Trans Pecos Ultra -- November 2-9

• 12 Replies

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
Trans Pecos Ultra -- November 2-9
« on: August 15, 2019, 10:58:04 AM »

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: Trans Pecos Ultra -- November 2-9
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 11:18:10 AM »
You thinking about trying it?
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 07:02:08 PM »
Signed up, yes.

Offline AggieOO

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 02:26:27 PM »
Always wanted to do it, but its so pricey.

Offline Slimkitty

• Coyote
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 07:52:37 AM »
I sent this link to my wife last night, jokingly suggesting it’s time she upped her game. Thirty minutes later I glanced over at her and she was STILL poring over the website details.  She’s planning to train for 2020 now 🤩

Offline bkrier

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 05:49:48 AM »
It looks like something to consider in future! I read their gear list to double check that I am not forgetting anything on my upcoming "outer" OML hike. On their optional but recommended list are gaiters and ear plugs. I have never thought of wearing hiking gaiters. Anyone do this and what is a good brand- light weight, cool in the desert and tough enough? What about that strap that goes under the boot- does it get torn up walking on rocks? I also saw ear plugs listed- is this for sleep?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 06:05:12 AM by bkrier »

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 08:08:59 AM »
Not all of them have loops that go under the shoe.  Altra for example.

Yes, they are essential in the desert, help keep rocks/sand from getting in your shoe

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 08:25:45 AM »
I have never thought of wearing hiking gaiters. Anyone do this and what is a good brand- light weight, cool in the desert and tough enough? What about that strap that goes under the boot- does it get torn up walking on rocks?

You are talking about light gaiters for crap in the shoes versus higher "snake" gaiters.  The most common are the Dirty Girl gaiters which don't have a loop under the shoe.  I use a pair of Levagaiters from Simblissity which are similar and have a big velcro front closure.  These kind of gaiters are mostly for people who use trail shoes and not higher boots.

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 09:29:49 AM »
These kind of gaiters are mostly for people who use trail shoes and not higher boots.

I find that even with higher boots if I'm wearing shorts, I'll still get crap getting into the boot, especially with a lot of cross country walking so usually go with the ankle gaiters.

Offline bkrier

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 07:13:06 AM »
I ordered the Altra gaiters from Amazon. Any tips on attaching it to the back of my current boots. I am hoping to use the loop on the back of my Columbia boots to attach to but it may be to high and allow sand/rocks in. If I have to glue some velcro, I am not opposed to that but any suggestions on best glue? Or a better way?

Offline nathanr

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 09:17:08 AM »
I second the levagaiter from simblissity. They're so much tougher than gaiters made from lycra. They dry fast. They pair with any shoe. They're light.

Offline nathanr

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 11:57:22 AM »
@bkrier - try them without any attachment at the back. Many trail gaiters will stay down over your shoe without a rear attachment.

IF that doesn't work, the velcro strips with adhesive backing should stick to the heel of almost any boot. If that doesn't stick, shoo goo will, or any all purpose gorilla type glue you have lying around.

Offline bkrier

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 02:27:25 PM »
I went with price $12 vs $48; time and miles will tell if I have made a wise decision. Thanks for all advice

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!