Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

1st BIBE trip. 1st solo trip. Need suggestions

• 26 Replies

Offline atlpaul

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: 1st BIBE trip. 1st solo trip. Need suggestions
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 05:58:12 PM »
Very helpful advice mule ears and everyone else. Thanks. Does anyone know how late in the day one can arrive and obtain a permit at the office? I ask since I'll be driving from Austin that morning.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »
You need to be at Panther Junction before 6 pm.

Al

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 11:11:41 AM »
It takes 7-8 hours to get to Panther Junction from Austin, depending on how much time you spend for lunch.  So, if you leave by 8 (or even 9), you shouldn't have any trouble making it to the park by 6.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline atlpaul

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 12:43:31 PM »
My latest thoughts are to start the trip with a one night overnight to Emory peak. Then drive into the desert and do a 2 night loop, zone camping and drive back to Austin after hiking back to the truck.

Suggestions for the 3 day, 2 night zone section loop?

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 10:06:06 AM »
Bantu Shut In and Telephone Canyon are two possibilities.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 11:45:59 AM »
My latest thoughts are to start the trip with a one night overnight to Emory peak. Then drive into the desert and do a 2 night loop, zone camping and drive back to Austin after hiking back to the truck.

Suggestions for the 3 day, 2 night zone section loop?

If you do the one night in the Chisos, be sure to do the South Rim and then catch Emory on the way up or down.  The South Rim is the superior view, in my opinion.  Emory Peak is OK but if I could do only one, I would do the South Rim first.  It is only about 12 miles round trip to the SR with another ~3 miles RT up Emory and back.

As I said before, there are no established, on trail, loops down low except Marufo Vega but it is only 14 miles.

A possible 3 day, two night, option with at least some water would be to park at the Homer Wilson ranch.  Take the Dodson trail east to the Smoky Creek trail and then south camping somewhere along the way.  Next day on south through the black rock canyon section with some possible water (there was water reported there a month ago) to the Mule Ears spring trail. If there is water along black rock canyon section you could camp before Mule Ears spring.  If not then go to Mule Ears spring where there will be water for sure.  Last day go cross country between Trap and Goat Mtns. and then up the Blue Creek wash back to Homer Wilson (or hitch hike up the road to your truck).

Don't know how far you like to walk in a day but it looks to be about 22 miles with plenty of stuff to explore along the way if you want.  It is along established trails most of the way with just the last ~7 miles off trail but fairly easy route finding and by then you will have a feel for the country.

Here is the route:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:34:51 PM by mule ears »
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline atlpaul

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 10:06:49 PM »
Thank you so much for the suggestions, fellas. Looks like I actually may have 3 nights for desert hiking after a one nighter up to the s rim and back. I could just take my time on the desert route you sugegsted or take a day to base camp and explore, or take two nights up to the s rim. This is gonna be some adventure. I'm coming from NYC and need to get the hell out of here for some serious wilderness time. The change can be so extreme and abrupt it can really be a shock to the system but a good one.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 07:34:08 AM »
There is so much just to take in and explore on ones first visit that you will fill it easily.  The thing to remember or try and do is to get it all on one permit because they will charge you $10 for each one and each time you change it.  So for example you can get one night on the South Rim and then two or three nights down low and if you want to base camp at one of the roadside campsites and explore the next day you can get that site too.  Even though they are separate trips so to speak, it is all one permit to them.

Just so you know, the only showers, outside of a motel room, are coin operated down at Rio Grande Village on the east side and at the Big Bend Motor Inn in Study Butte on the west side.

As one who also flys in (from NC) to get my desert fix, you are right about it will be a shock to the system but a good one.   :icon_biggrin:

Make sure you give us some kind of report when you get back.
no shade, no water

Offline Juan Cuatro Lados

• Diamondback
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 09:11:59 AM »
For a good introductory hike in the lower desert, consider parking at the Fossil Bone exhibit and walking downstream along Tornillo Creek - open country with superb views.  Head toward the low hills that meet the drainage on the left after a few miles and watch for water in the main drainage, usually there.  Check your map, McKinney Spr. isn't far away and always has water a short distance above the Ore Road, if you need it.  It's a good area to set up a base camp and wander around from there, simply walking the Ore Road makes for a good hike.  Wherever ya go, ya can't lose ....... enjoy. 
On another subject, spent 30 years wandering the Gila, it's the bomb!

Offline Voni

• Diamondback
    • Voni and Paul
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 12:39:20 PM »
Live deeply, laugh fully, love widely
Terlingua, TX

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
   photo site:  http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a326/VoniGlaves/

Offline atlpaul

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 06:57:50 PM »
Are detailed topos available from rangers or do i need to find an online source and print them out?

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 07:42:40 PM »
They have every kind of map and topo you will need at the Panther Junction Visitor Center.
no shade, no water

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!