Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

1st hike to Casa Grande-Cave on Casa Grande?

• 13 Replies

Offline Dman1701

• Kangaroo Rat
1st hike to Casa Grande-Cave on Casa Grande?
« on: September 25, 2018, 03:36:16 PM »
Hello folks, this is my first post here at BBC.

I'll be returning to Big Bend with a long time hiking pal in early November. We plan on hiking to the top of Casa Grande for the first time so I am looking for any tips or pointers that members might like to share. I'd also like to ask is there a cave on the side of Casa Grande? I've been watching a lot of video about Casa Grande and I spotted this on Zachary Teich's video from the 40 to 49 second mark. Bear in mind this is a screen cap of a 720dp video. I imagine it is a cave but it has as a very square appearance to it, does anyone know what this is?  The trail to the top runs through the gap to the left of the cave like feature.

Having hiked throughout the park before I'm semi familiar with the lore, or rather lack thereof about the origin of the name of the Lost Mine trail. My pal and I jokingly wondered, might this be the so called "Lost Mine"? Or just a cave? Curious minds want to know.

Thanks ahead of time on any tips or advise anyone can share about the climb up Casa Grande. Both of us are in good shape and seasoned hikers.  We are looking forward to getting to see the view from up there, after years of looking up at it. ;)

We don't rent pigs!

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: 1st hike to Casa Grande-Cave on Casa Grande?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 03:48:40 PM »
Be sure and check out the Hike Casa Grande! topic. The "hike" has steadily become more of a scramble over the years, as the now fairly worn-in social trail keeps degrading. I don't know of anyone who has checked out that "cave". I suspect it would only be a few feet deep and is from erosion. Most people have summit fever by the time they get to that section and aren't up for exploring on the side. ;)

Be sure and wear good gloves, and be prepared to fall a few times. :)

P.S. Looks like the guy who did the video may have gone up the false summit gully. Did that on my first attempt; never again.

P.P.S. I thought the video poster's name looked familiar: ZachTeich
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:11:57 PM by RichardM »

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 08:00:35 PM »
Here is a thread on the Casa Grande cave and Benthegrate has been there.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 10:08:58 PM »
Pretty sure that's not the cave he's talking about...

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 05:26:11 AM »
Pretty sure that's not the cave he's talking about...

I agree. I think he means the one in the attached screen grab. Good luck with that one!

Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 06:47:10 AM »
Good catch, I didn't realize there was another cave.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Dman1701

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 02:27:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I'll be sure to read up on the Casa Grande thread. And indeed that is NOT the cave I was talking about Mule Ears. This one is on the side of Casa Grande and at least from this video looks almost square or man made. We might try to check it out on our climb, but as RichardM says we might also have summit fever by then too so maybe not. ;)
We don't rent pigs!

Offline VivaTerlingua

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 07:32:00 AM »
Be sure and check out the Hike Casa Grande! topic. The "hike" has steadily become more of a scramble over the years, as the now fairly worn-in social trail keeps degrading. I don't know of anyone who has checked out that "cave". I suspect it would only be a few feet deep and is from erosion. Most people have summit fever by the time they get to that section and aren't up for exploring on the side. ;)

Be sure and wear good gloves, and be prepared to fall a few times. :)

P.S. Looks like the guy who did the video may have gone up the false summit gully. Did that on my first attempt; never again.

P.P.S. I thought the video poster's name looked familiar: ZachTeich

I echo everything Richard said.  I also went up the wrong gully first time I attempted it.  Good leather gloves are highly recommended.  You'll be sliding down on your butt a lot on the way down.

It's an awesome view once you get up there and is not really that hard to do.

Offline DuneYeti

• Roadrunner
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 09:46:11 AM »
Attempted the summit couple years ago, didn't make it all the way up the rock slide.  My point is when sliding down wife punctured her camelback and lost her water, luckily the weather was moderate and I had plenty to get us back in comfort.  If I do it again I would put the camelback on my chest while sliding to keep it off the rocks.  Pictures don't show the true difficulty in going up the slide but that's nothing like coming down.
"The less you want, the richer you are."

Offline twystoflemon

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 02:13:50 PM »
Delayed response, but possibly still helpful:

I hiked Casa Grande last October with three friends. If you aren't familiar with moving on talus and scree, I'd recommend watching a few youtube videos ahead of time to help you get up and down the rock slide safely. Big guys will have a tougher time on the talus/scree section, or at least that was our experience. A hiking pole was definitely helpful as there were pretty steep pitches in several places, and the hiking pole can serve as a brake when coming down scree.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »

I hiked Casa Grande last October with three friends. If you aren't familiar with moving on talus and scree, I'd recommend watching a few youtube videos ahead of time to help you get up and down the rock slide safely. Big guys will have a tougher time on the talus/scree section, or at least that was our experience. A hiking pole was definitely helpful as there were pretty steep pitches in several places, and the hiking pole can serve as a brake when coming down scree.

This might help give you an idea what to expect:
The scree seemed to be much more slippery than the other times I've been up there. It seemed like the rocks slid on every step.

It was a bit breezy on top, so we didn't hang around as long as I would have liked.

Try to avoid doing this:

:)

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 05:39:33 PM »
The scree seemed to be much more slippery than the other times I've been up there. It seemed like the rocks slid on every step.

Just a suggestion for those wanting to illustrate slope.

Looking up/down (and photos) slopes do a poor job of indicating pitch.

Look across a slope to get the real picture.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 07:12:05 PM »

Just a suggestion for those wanting to illustrate slope.

Looking up/down (and photos) slopes do a poor job of indicating pitch.

Look across a slope to get the real picture.
Sorry, too busy trying not to fall on my butt to take those kinds of pics.  :icon_cool:

Offline Dman1701

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 11:22:10 PM »

Many thanks. I plan on taking poles and gloves, and of course will wear pants that I'm not afraid to destroy in the glutes area on my way down.

It was a bit breezy on top, so we didn't hang around as long as I would have liked.

Try to avoid doing this:

:)

Thank you too Richard, I'm familiar with the skree field and will hopefully be prepared for some slipping some sliding and some scrabbling in this area. Best to go up and down prepared and this as well as the other thread (and the Big Bend Google Earth Project) have all been extremely informative.  Just over two weeks until we attempt our climb, I'll share here with everyone afterwards.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:27:30 AM by Dman1701 »
We don't rent pigs!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!