Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

2013 Vacation

• 3 Replies

Offline 1badtk

• 83% Crazy
  • Jack Rabbit
  • COFFEE!
2013 Vacation
« on: January 28, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »
Just got back from BIBE and Cottage 102. I have several pictures of the cottage and view from the front porch to post and link from here. We stopped by the Boquillas Crossing and was met by a gate, locked. Hiked on into the area and took some pictures of the new Manned boarder crossing soon to open. No car crossing, walk only and no bridge, just another ferry crossing. So involved on the US side, it is connected to 57 different agencies, including OSHA since it will now be manned. Not much showing on the Mexico side but a dirt road, that alone should bring back old memories for you old timers. Made my last hike to the Lost Mine Trail, 66 and that took a lot out of me. I almost gave up with only the last 3 switch backs left, my mine started asking questions like can I get back down...... My brother in law went ahead of us and said it was only another 10-15 minutes to the top, so I said I'm not quitting now and pushed on, glad I did.
That's us in the last picture, left to right, #3 my brother in law, Mother In Law Lemon, C my wife, and myself, 1badtk.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:11:31 PM by 1badtk »
WARNING!
I am not responcible for the above post accuracy or validity.
With the outside forces of God, Satan, and the small voices in my head, I am not in total control. Therefore read at your own risk and DO NOT CALL 911.

Offline 1badtk

• 83% Crazy
  • Jack Rabbit
  • COFFEE!
Re: 2013 Vacation
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 03:08:39 PM »
Stone Cottage #102
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:15:51 PM by 1badtk »
WARNING!
With the outside forces of God, Satan, and the small voices in my head, I am not in total control. Therefore read at your own risk and DO NOT CALL 911.

Offline Don H

• Diamondback
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 03:20:09 PM »
Is the picture of CG taken from the porch of 102?  If so, I'm guessing the porch in the picture is Cabin 101?  Any pics/views of the Window?
"Rugged isolation in a Jeep with the top down, doors off, sweaty, dusty, listening to your flavor of tunes, immersed in the most beautiful and beguiling desert mountains in all of the Southwest, the Sierra Quemada. Nothing short of spiritual cleansing. " D. Locke

Offline 1badtk

• 83% Crazy
  • Jack Rabbit
  • COFFEE!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »
No Don, that is the side entry from the parking lot between 102 and 103, my brother in law is looking in the direction of the Window, 90* off the porch. 103 porch looks directly at the Window View and 102 porch is a 90* South of that view. We sat there so we could see the sunset in the window area. We also had a overlook of the Laguna Meadows Trail in that same direction.
If we stood at the side of the porch looking West we were looking out the window view.
WARNING!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!