Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Casa Grande

• 6 Replies

Offline Albany

• Kangaroo Rat
Casa Grande
« on: November 09, 2014, 02:51:54 PM »
Climbed Casa Grande today from the Lost Mine Trail. It took me one hour for the climb from the trail and 35 minutes for the descent. I am a fast hiker so other people's times may vary. The path was easy to follow. Staying right is good if any split in the path is found. About halfway, a trail turns hard right and descends steeply. This appears to go back to the trailhead. I built a small cairn so I would go the correct way on the return. Once on the steep section, there are paths on the right side of the scree that split but always come back together. I did not notice any drop offs as previously posted.
Awesome views from the top. I wandered around and got pics from every angle. Views from the top of Lost Mine Trail were great too.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: Casa Grande
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 03:52:07 PM »
Sounds like you are having a good time.  Thanks for the details on the route and looking forward to some pictures.

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 07:55:17 PM »
Yep. Your direct route has a name, Casa Grande Direct. Last time the girls and I went down it took 20 minutes.

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 07:51:18 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I haven't been to the top of Casa Grande for a long time. But I remember patch of pure clay soil along the way - barely damp and yet unbelievably slippery. Any rough spots like that? And did you use hiking poles?
-Imre
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 09:22:53 PM »
The way up is very straightforward. You can take CG Direct up which is around market 4 on LM trail. Or you can take the long way around by the Juniprr overlook. If you go that way bear right until the big talus slope then take a hard left straight up.

Poles are invaluable going down

Offline Albany

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 06:08:39 PM »
No rough spots along the way. Everything was dry.

I only use one pole, at times. I've been blessed with good knees. Today I climbed Guadeloupe Peak with no pole. On Casa Grande I used one.

So the direct route starts at marker 4. That explains the split in the path that I mentioned. It looks very steep. I liked the path from marker 7. It follows a ridge.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 10:05:14 PM »
Once upon a time, the NPS folks would discourage people from taking the "direct route", as it causes a lot more erosion. Not sure they're willing to voice an opinion these days.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!