Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Cattail Falls Hike

• 19 Replies

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
Re: Cattail Falls Hike
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 07:24:17 PM »
Are you planning on leaving a car at Sam Nail then driving up to the Basin to begin your hike? If so I say go for it!
Get an early start, the Window is very popular few folks early, spend a little time at The Window. The real view is at the top of the Oak Spring Cut Off, this is where you'll want to spend some time. The view is great on the way down to the Cattail Falls trail, then the  junction of OSC Trail and CT Falls trail is a good shady spot for a break. From there to the falls is easy enough and well worth the effort.
The hike out to Sam Nail would be far easier than returning to the Basin, but if you are up for the return trip to the Basin it'll be worth it

We only have 1 vehicle so we can't set up a car shuttle.  After reading your reply I think we might start at Sam Nail and hike to Cattail Falls and then on to the Window.  Then we'll head back to Sam Nail.  It would be a little shorter hike with less elevation gain.

You used to be able to ask the folks at the desk in the lodge to shuttle you to Sam Nail, as far as I know you still can. It cost $50 last time I did it a few years ago. Ask them the night before you want it.

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 07:40:35 PM »
Are you planning on leaving a car at Sam Nail then driving up to the Basin to begin your hike? If so I say go for it!
Get an early start, the Window is very popular few folks early, spend a little time at The Window. The real view is at the top of the Oak Spring Cut Off, this is where you'll want to spend some time. The view is great on the way down to the Cattail Falls trail, then the  junction of OSC Trail and CT Falls trail is a good shady spot for a break. From there to the falls is easy enough and well worth the effort.
The hike out to Sam Nail would be far easier than returning to the Basin, but if you are up for the return trip to the Basin it'll be worth it

We only have 1 vehicle so we can't set up a car shuttle.  After reading your reply I think we might start at Sam Nail and hike to Cattail Falls and then on to the Window.  Then we'll head back to Sam Nail.  It would be a little shorter hike with less elevation gain.

Yeah, I think that's the right choice. Good luck!!!!! Post pics, if you can.
That's the ticket! Spend the morning at the falls, then the late afternoon at the Oak Spring Cut Off high point and walk down into the sunset. Maybe you'll get lucky and you'll have one of those golden green sunsets that you can walk into, Those that have done it know just what I mean.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 08:17:30 PM »

Yeah, I think that's the right choice. Good luck!!!!! Post pics, if you can.
That's the ticket! Spend the morning at the falls, then the late afternoon at the Oak Spring Cut Off high point and walk down into the sunset. Maybe you'll get lucky and you'll have one of those golden green sunsets that you can walk into, Those that have done it know just what I mean.
Or this. :)

Offline Hookim

• Coyote
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 12:55:03 AM »
I've done it. I met a person that was hiking solo, so we had two cars. We  left mine at the Basin, drove to Sam Nell, hiked to the Falls (I've also seen bears in the wash and up on the other side... Also rec taking the designated route). We hiked back to the tree, then hit Oak Springs, up and over to the Window Trail, and back to the Basin. It's probably easier to hike the opposite way, but either way you go is a winner. Sunset at the Window is a must. If the visitor center doesn't have shuttles, just see if you can meet up with others who want to do the route through...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline BIBEARCH

• Coyote
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 11:48:39 AM »
It's about as Rocky as the road but it's natural and lined with interesting native plants.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Big Bend Chat mobile app

The opinion expressed above is my own and not that of the National Park Service or the Federal government.

"Government of the people, by the people, for the people . . . people hey, that's us!"? - Swami Beyondananda

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!