Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

First time, quick trip

• 4 Replies

Offline NbTxHiker

• Kangaroo Rat
  • The right time is now!
First time, quick trip
« on: February 07, 2018, 03:51:17 PM »
Ive always said this year im going to BB, but something has always came up. Anyways, next weekend is my birthday and dang it.....IM GOING. Now, crappy part is itll be a quick trip......leaving new braunfels fri, and coming back late sunday. I know its not a lot of time, but i think this will be the match to light my fire, and hopefully my wifes as well. Ill be driving my subaru crosstrek so wouldnt mind exploring a lil off roading, and will have an rtt as well. And would also like to hike a lil bit of trails. My question is with this limited time frame what would u recommend as for state park, national park, where to camp...etc. sorry for sounding like that guy and rambling but im a lil excited.

Jay-Are Smith

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Re: First time, quick trip
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 04:08:55 PM »
Ive always said this year im going to BB, but something has always came up. Anyways, next weekend is my birthday and dang it.....IM GOING. Now, crappy part is itll be a quick trip......leaving new braunfels fri, and coming back late sunday. I know its not a lot of time, but i think this will be the match to light my fire, and hopefully my wifes as well. Ill be driving my subaru crosstrek so wouldnt mind exploring a lil off roading, and will have an rtt as well. And would also like to hike a lil bit of trails. My question is with this limited time frame what would u recommend as for state park, national park, where to camp...etc. sorry for sounding like that guy and rambling but im a lil excited.

Jay-Are Smith

You're going to get a million different recommendations. Here's mine:

Friday: drive from New Braunfels to the Chisos Basin and stay at the Chisos Basin Lodge if it's available. If not, stay in the campground up there. Dinner at the Lodge's restaurant.

Saturday: long day hike up the Pinnacles and through Boot Canyon to the South Rim then back to the lodge (or campground). You don't have to return the way you came up, there are alternate routes to descend back to the Basin. Eat dinner at the Lodge's restaurant. Sleep at the Lodge or in the campground.

Sunday: early breakfast at the Lodge, then drive the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive (and, man, is it scenic) to Santa Elena Canyon. Hike into the canyon along the Santa Elena Canyon trail (short) then return to Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive and drive to a dayhike (Tuff Canyon, Lower Burro Mesa Pouroff, or Mule Ears Spring) then drive to Terlingua for an early dinner at the Starlight Theater or La Kiva (or DB's Rustic Iron if you're in a real hurry), then make the long drive home to New Braunfels, arriving in the wee hours, exhausted, happy, and hooked.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:38:17 PM by House Made of Dawn »
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 04:22:16 PM »
Alternatively, if you really want to do a little off-roading, you could spend Sunday driving the River Road to the Mariscal Mine and exploring it instead of Santa Elena Canyon and a dayhike, then drive back the way you came to Terlingua for dinner before heading home to New Braunfels.  Or push east after Mariscal all the way to Rio Grande Village and then north out of the park and eat at the Gage Hotel in Marathon before heading back to New Braunfels.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:27:53 PM by House Made of Dawn »

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 09:39:46 PM »
Welcome to BBC!

For a first time quick trip, HMoD's plans above are about the best you can do for the time allotted. All you have to decide is dirt or pavement for the second day.

Another alternative for the second day could be to visit Rio Grande Village, watch the birds and sit in the hot springs in the morning, then either take the boat across the river to Boquillas for lunch (passport required), or check out Old Ore Rd and take the short hike up to see Ernst Tinaja. You could reasonably do all that in a day if you're young and motivated.

Either way, you'll discover that it will not be your last trip.

Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 10:10:13 PM »

or check out Old Ore Rd and take the short hike up to see Ernst Tinaja. You could reasonably do all that in a day if you're young and motivated.

Ernst Tinaja! Hadn't thought about that. Yep, that would be just about as interesting as the Mariscal Mine. And an awfully fine short hike. Plus, it would get you already headed north up the Old Ore Road and toward Marathon. Might make for an earlier arrival back in New Braunfels.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!