Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

First timer

• 67 Replies

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
Re: First timer
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 02:42:13 PM »
If my wife & I hiked this as an overnighter, on hot days, we'd probably bring:

4L each for ascent & recovery (once on top)
1L total for dehy dinner
1L total for morning coffee
1L total for breakfast
1L total to split (drinking) before the descent
3L each for descent in direct sun

total = 18L
minus 4 32oz Nalgene bottles = 14L approx.
= 7ea 2L platypi (but we'll have consumed ~4L when we reach Boot, so only need to bring 5-6 2L platypi)

this might be 2-4L too much, but better safe than sorry.

your approach, water consumption rate, form of storage, etc may differ, of course -- this is just an example.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 09:44:09 PM by trtlrock »
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2012, 02:52:50 PM »
I'm not sure of your desert hiking experience, so forgive me if you already know this:

Dehydration can kill you; it is the biggest danger in desert hiking, even in the upper Chisos.

If you're peeing dark/deep yellow/orange, your are in BIG trouble.
If you're peeing yellow, you need to drink more water now, and get 'on top of' things. You are already dehydrated.
If you're peeing clear, you're good.

Each of you should drink 1L of water in the 1-2 hours before you start hiking up on Day 1.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 09:20:49 PM by trtlrock »
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline Don H

• Diamondback
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2012, 03:14:52 PM »
"but whatever you decide you should both try to load up your packs and walk UP something with 'em on and fully loaded"
I totally agree with this statement, especially if this is your first time.  Load the packs up, strap em on and try to walk up hill somewhere for at least an hour, if you're good after that then go for it!
"Rugged isolation in a Jeep with the top down, doors off, sweaty, dusty, listening to your flavor of tunes, immersed in the most beautiful and beguiling desert mountains in all of the Southwest, the Sierra Quemada. Nothing short of spiritual cleansing. " D. Locke

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »
Best thing works for me on the water is those really cheap water bottles you get in a case of 24 at the store for about $3.  They are real thin plastic; when empty, crunch them up and put the lid back on and they pack to a fraction of the size; if you find a place to filter water, blow them up and pump into them.

Offline Infosec

• Roadrunner
  • Be Here Now
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2012, 08:55:51 PM »
If my wife & I hiked this as an overnighter, on hot days, we'd probably bring:

4L each for ascent & recovery (once on top)
1L for dehy dinner
1L for morning coffee
1L for breakfast
1L to split (drinking) before hiking
3L each for descent in direct sun

total = 18L
minus 4 32oz Nalgene bottles = 14L approx.
= 7ea 2L platypi

this might be 2-4L too much, but better safe than sorry.

your approach, water consumption rate, form of storage, etc may differ, of course -- this is just an example.

Holy Toledo if I had a liter of coffee in the morning I would be bouncing off the walls :dance: But seriously a hydration plan is must, next month on my Solo trip the hydration plan is based on 4L per day on heavy hiking days and 2L for sleeping day  :eusa_whistle: and taking it easy on the Rim. Depending on how you attack the trail (time of day, rest stops and munching) you should be able to do it with 12L per person.

Offline Infosec

• Roadrunner
  • Be Here Now
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »
If you're peeing orange, your are in BIG trouble.
If you're peeing yellow, you need to drink more water now, and get 'on top of' things. You are already dehydrated.

Each of you should drink 1L of water in the 1-2 hours before you start hiking up on Day 1.

great advice, there are a couple of published papers online from UT and FS (gators) from their sports medicine program that talk about fluid and electrolyte replenishment, stages of dehydration and possible renal damage/failure due to ineffective hydration during physical exercise at high temperatures. The studies also cautioned the risks associated with hyper hydration. Too much water is just as bad.

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 09:13:07 PM »

Holy Toledo if I had a liter of coffee in the morning I would be bouncing off the walls :dance:

The 1L of water is coffee for two people  :icon_lol:

But, yeah, that 2nd cup is always a good thing. Only at home though, can't spare the water weight when hiking... :icon_cry:
John & Tess

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 09:38:12 PM »
If you're peeing orange, your are in BIG trouble.

great advice, there are a couple of published papers online from UT and FS (gators) from their sports medicine program that talk about fluid and electrolyte replenishment, stages of dehydration and possible renal damage/failure due to ineffective hydration during physical exercise at high temperatures. The studies also cautioned the risks associated with hyper hydration. Too much water is just as bad.

Dang, I only urinate clear when I have had a few beers.

Al

Offline Homer67

• Passionate Backpacker
  • Black Bear
  • Be Amazing.
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2012, 02:04:30 PM »
18L sounds about right. 

When my wife and I carry a "full-load" it means 3-1 Gal bottles, 2- 3L hydration bladders and a 20 oz each --- (3.78L/gal)(3 gal jugs) = 11.34 L + 6 L = 17.34 L + (40 oz)(1 L/33.814 oz) = 18.52 liters.

This is what we took for the Dodson to the Homer Wilson, where we restocked up to a "full-load" once again when we did the OML. It roughly gives us 2.5 days of water which we could stretch into 3 if we had to.  But if it's 100+, it may not do for that long.
Ah Big Bend, we will soon return to reacquaint ourselves in our ritual of blood, exhaustion and dehydration. How can we resist the temptation to strip ourselves of the maladies of civilization?

Offline Chireaux

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2012, 09:11:25 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks for all the qdvice, we finally returned from our trip and had a wonderful time. My wife and I realy fell in love with Bibe. Here is a little reccap of our trip if your interested. We arrived at Panther junction about 5:30 pm, unfortunately this didnt leave us with too much time to get started.My wife was a little freaked out at first bc of all the recent mountain lion acticity. We asked the Ranger a lot of questions when we arrived and she told us about several different mountain lion encounters just in the past couple of weeks, as well as a hiker getting bluff charged by a bear. (probably a question we shouldnt have asked). My wife is only 4'11 and 97 lb, so she felt like she was a prime target, lol.
We decided to camp in boulder meadow and just take our time and finish the rest if the hike the following day. This was probably a good idea considering the weight that our packs were, we definitely overpacked on the food but we were just about right on the water.. Im sure my wifes pack was at least half of her bw. We left our tent and a few other items in BM and day hiked from there.  Needless to say we didnt get much sleep that  night, especially considering this was our first time ever sleeping in a tent.. She was ready to go back in the lodge in the am, lol, but thankfully I talked her in to continuing. We hiked that day up the pinnacles trail to the top, my wife was exhausted on the way up up but that quickly went away when we got to the top and were able to see the beautiful view. I couldnt talk her to going to the south rim because she was tired and was running a bit low on water at this point and we just didnt know how hard the rest of the trip would be, but I did talk her into going to boot canyon, I just had to carry her bag the rest of the way lol. At this point we turned around and headed back to the lodge, once she realized how easy it was to get back down, she kind of regretted not going to the south rim. But we both decided that this would give us a reason to come back.
The next day my wife was ready to go, I was the one keeping up with her. We went down the window trail (which was awesome) and then we took the Oak Springs trail on the way back. We got to see a lot of wildlife on this trail including deer, roadrunner, lots of insects etc...We did see a large rock that was full of fresh blood with a medium size piece of poop next to it, this was interesting to see and a little scary at the same time.
We also did a trail at the rio grande that eveining as well.
The next day we had reservation s in San antonio which was halfway home for us. We stayed there 2 nights but contemplated staying at bibe and doing the south rim trail all over again. But we just decided that we would have to come back another time. I think the next time we do the south rim, it will be much easier now that we know what to expect. There are also several other hikes that we want to do on the next trip.
Well, thanks again for all the advice, it really did benefit us quite a bit, especially being our first hiking venture. I will post some pics in a bit from my iphone.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2012, 09:36:47 PM »
Sounds like it was a great first trip and your wife is quite the trooper!  Can't wait for the pictures.

Thanks for the report,
Al

Offline Chireaux

• Kangaroo Rat
First timer
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2012, 09:59:01 PM »
here are a few pics....

Offline Chireaux

• Kangaroo Rat
First timer
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2012, 10:10:03 PM »
and a few more...

Offline Geezer

• Black Bear
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2012, 10:33:07 PM »
Great photos! Y'all did well.

Geezer

Online mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2012, 06:11:35 AM »
Y'all probably had the typical first time visit.  Many folks arrive, after a very long trip to get there, and have a big itinerary planned. They feel they have to do a lot because Big Bend is so hard to get to so they better take advantage of it.  Then time, the immensity of the place and the effect of the desert happen and the plan changes.  Some folks roll with it and others get frustrated and leave without ever seeing the beauty.  The good thing is you all rolled with it and now have been bitten by the bug.   :13:

Thanks for the pictures and the report.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!