Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

First timer

• 67 Replies

Offline kevint

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • Pictures
First timer
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2012, 07:54:54 AM »
Thanks for the trip report.
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

Offline Infosec

• Roadrunner
  • Be Here Now
Re: First timer
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2012, 08:20:25 AM »
The pictures are very nice, next time you know what to expect and will enjoy the park even more.

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
  • I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back.
    • Mother Nature Framed
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2012, 10:40:15 AM »
Hey, the fact is that you made it AND you made the right decision to get info about what to expect BEFORE you went. Thanks for sharing some pics! Much appreciated! I am normally a critter kinda guy, and the big rock with the blood on it is a very interesting find. WOW!

Curious though, you said you took the Oak Spring trail on the way back. How far did you follow that before turning around? That's one I've never ventured down at all, but one day I will. Also, how were those temps overnight? I take it you did not get any rain while you were camped up in Boulder Meadow? Any snakes? Were you happy overall that you hauled a tent up there?
Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Offline Chireaux

• Kangaroo Rat
First timer
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2012, 04:18:54 PM »

I attached the pick of the rock we found with the blood on it...What do up think?

The oak Spring trail was really cool. Your basically hiking up the side of the mountain. A couple told us while we did the window to hike about 3/4 mile and there were some good views, that's basically to the top of the mountain.the pic with the water tower in it was from the top of that trail. It was definitely worth the extra mile if your doing the window trail.

I don't know what degrees the temps were at night but I would suspect the 50's. The night basically went in 3 stages.
Stage 1 - no sheet/ no shirt..... Stage 2 - shirt and cocoon sheet..... Stage 3 - share cocoon sheet with my wife.... It got a little chilly at that point.

Didn't see any snakes, mountain lions or bears.

We didn't get any rain all though heard some thunderings in the distance, I think Boulder Meadow was the perfect place to camp being with my wife and having all the gear we did, and leaving in late afternoon, we were pretty beat by the time we got there. BM 3 was a nice place to camp, we really liked the views of the mountains in the background.

Offline Infosec

• Roadrunner
  • Be Here Now
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »
The blood stain definitely was from a fresh kill, still moist and in dry environment like BiBe  that could only be a few hours. Funny I could swear you could pick out the outline of a snake.

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2012, 09:25:41 PM »
Next trip consider staying at the lodge and doing the south rim as a (long) day hike - you don't have to carry so much stuff. Also , you can get one of the staff to shuttle with you and put your vehicle at the base of Oak Creek trail and bring you back to the basin - hike the window then oak creek and cattail falls trails and drive back to the basin.

Offline Chireaux

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2012, 09:26:40 PM »
Yea, the outline does appear snakelike...
You can't see in the pic but there was fresh droppings next to it as well. Im not sure if it was from the predator or the prey. I'm no expert in that, but it definitely wasn't deer like, it was just one solid piece, It looked like it was from a medium sized animal, maybe a javelina or something.

Offline kevint

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • Pictures
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2013, 11:18:22 AM »
In my opinion, this thread deserves a sticky.
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!