Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Gov. shutdown primitive camping / backcountry camping.

• 39 Replies

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Gov. shutdown primitive camping / backcountry camping.
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2018, 02:52:00 PM »
The conservative CBS news reports 5 billion.  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/government-funding-bill-passage-now-uncertain-in-the-house/

The ultra conservative NPR reports 5.7  Billion   https://www.npr.org/2018/12/20/678602214/senate-approves-temporary-funding-bill-house-likely-to-act-today-avoiding-shutdo

If it was 3.5 billion, then the shut down fight is only over   .079%  of the total budget.
For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

Offline RedBuffalo

• Coyote
    • http://www.duprephotography.com/links.htm
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2018, 02:59:43 PM »
My backcountry permit would cost $14 for three nights.  Wonder what a citation for that would go for?  If any, more than likely a warning...  I'm thinking if I were forced to work a shutdown I'd be at my favorite off trail site chilling or fake it and be at home with my family.

Offline Quatro

• Diamondback
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2018, 03:24:47 PM »
From Politifact:

Cost estimates for the wall vary greatly. Here are some relevant estimates, as chronicled by news publication Quartz.

In July 2016, Bernstein Research, a firm that analyzes material costs, put the price tag at $15 billion to $25 billion, for a wall that stretches 1,000 miles and is 40 feet high, which was Trumpís initial desired height.

In January 2017, Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell said the wall would be $12 billion to $15 billion.

In February 2017, a leaked report from the Department of Homeland Security put it much higher, at $21.6 billion.

In April 2017, the Democratic staff of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee said in a report that costs could soar to nearly $70 billion ó not including the significant costs and legal resources required for land acquisition.

Petersí spokesman Jacob Peters said the congressman used the $21.6 billion estimate because it "comes from the internal report done by the Department of Homeland Security."

"This estimate falls somewhere in the middle of the range of cost estimates," the spokesman added. "Because this report was commissioned by (Department of Homeland Security) Secretary Kelly, and is based on the Trump administrationís own planning process to build walls and fences to cover almost the entirety of the border that is not already fenced, it is the best current estimate for what President Trump is likely to ask Congress to appropriate to build his border wall."

We also used the $21.6 billion as our estimate.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - HST

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2018, 03:28:12 PM »
I just wish politicians would work off of facts not rhetoric.

Rhetoric is all they have to work with.

Witness the never-ending parade of dolt-stupid comments politicians make (and when challenged about their ignorance always revert to the idea they were joking, even as anyone seeing it live knows they were dead serious at the time).

My favorite episode is this genius in a congressional hearing asking a Navy Admiral if the island of Guam was at risk of tipping over if a large troop build-up occurred. As soon as he was ridiculed for pathological stupidity, he claimed he was joking. Watch it and see if you can determine where the joking occurs.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tipping-point/

He is far from the only example of unqualified folks being elected into positions where their legislative actions can directly and negatively affect national well-being.

A politician never met a fact that couldn't be ignored or twisted.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 03:52:11 PM by presidio »
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline RedBuffalo

• Coyote
    • http://www.duprephotography.com/links.htm
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2018, 09:15:49 AM »
Going from bad to worse....

Campgrounds Update 12/26/18
Chisos Basin, Rio Grande Village, and Cottonwood Campgrounds are now closed due to sanitation and resource impact concerns.

Additional closures update 12/26/18
The Santa Elena Canyon Trailhead and Trail has been closed due to resource impact concerns.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2018, 10:33:28 AM »
Going from bad to worse....

Campgrounds Update 12/26/18
Chisos Basin, Rio Grande Village, and Cottonwood Campgrounds are now closed due to sanitation and resource impact concerns.

Additional closures update 12/26/18
The Santa Elena Canyon Trailhead and Trail has been closed due to resource impact concerns.

No surprises here. Resource impact is a well used rationale by BBNP. I have experience with this and a FOIA request, but that's a different story.
Not all those who wander are lost.
Ė J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2018, 02:40:25 PM »
Resource impact is a well used rationale by BBNP.

Yep, easy to claim, but just ask how they quantify/justify it and be prepared for diversion and dissemblance.
Essentially, it is whatever they want to say it is. However, in the case of campground issues...that is 'maintenance' not 'resource' impacts.

I have experience with this and a FOIA request, but that's a different story.

...and one I'd very much like to hear.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline iwhite96

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2019, 09:51:36 AM »
The conservative CBS news reports 5 billion.  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/government-funding-bill-passage-now-uncertain-in-the-house/

The ultra conservative NPR reports 5.7  Billion   https://www.npr.org/2018/12/20/678602214/senate-approves-temporary-funding-bill-house-likely-to-act-today-avoiding-shutdo

If it was 3.5 billion, then the shut down fight is only over   .079%  of the total budget.

Seriously, they should just give him the money. Everyone knows that Washington is not afraid to spend money. The whole issue is just what the money is going to be spent on.

In the mean time, nat'l parks are going to continue getting trashed. And it could be for many more weeks or even months.

Offline bam.bam

• Coyote
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2019, 05:38:47 PM »
The way I read it, you can drive and hike the park but you cannot camp over night except for the Basin Lodge and RG campsite.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2019, 05:54:56 PM »
At least a three week reprieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!