Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

 2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!


Hike Friendly......

  • 72 Replies
  • 34332 Views
*

Offline homerboy2u

  • The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
  • *
  • 5103
Re: Everyone
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2006, 02:12:23 PM »
Quote from: "SHANEA"
I'm happy to report that everyone that we encountered on this most recent forey into BIBE was very friendly and most wanted to stop and yack on the trail.  There were a lot of Germans there this year, and it was not a "tour bus".  They were all individuals.  My hiking buddy questioned as to why all the Germans would be there when they have the alps to hike in?


  Or the world soccer cup..for the same matter : Go figure :?  :!:  :!:
Stay thirsty, my friends.

*

Offline TexasGirl

  • Black Bear
  • *
  • 460
Hike Friendly......
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2006, 10:04:11 AM »
Quote
why all the Germans would be there


The Luftwaffe used to and may still have a unit at Fort Bliss.
Germans love Texas ("wild west").
German groups, esp. choirs, fairly regularly visit our German clubs here in Texas (old and still strong social clubs, with choirs, some bowling leagues and social events, in Austin, 2 in San Antonio, Houston, Dallas--state-wide choir made up from those groups is called Chorgemeinschaft Texas) and many take side trips around their group tours.
There are also Volksmarch events (walking/hiking clubs) here which draw hikers from Germany.  
It's cheaper for them to travel here than in Europe (esp. the Alps).
They don't have wide-open spaces, so the US can stun them on that point, and of course BB is a prime example.
As a matter of fact, I _do_ have an opinion on that....

*

Offline presidio

  • Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
  • *
  • 3503
Hike Friendly......
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2006, 12:14:00 PM »
Quote from: "TexasGirl"
The Luftwaffe used to and may still have a unit at Fort Bliss.
Germans love Texas ("wild west").


There is a large German Air Force contingent at Holloman AFB in Alamogordo NM, which is not all that much farther up the highway from El Paso (in the grand scheme of western distances).

Also, in Germany, there is a rabid fascination with the American frontier west and they have numerous 'cowboy and indian' clubs where they suit up and spend their weekends role-playing, not unlike our mountainman and cowboy shooting clubs.
_____________
<  presidio  >
_____________
Wendell (Garret Dillahunt): It's a mess, ain't it, sheriff?
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

*

Offline TheWildWestGuy

  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • *
  • 1342
Hike Friendly......
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2006, 05:45:19 PM »
I have occasionally but rarely said "Howdy"  to someone on the trail and not recieved a greeting back.   But then on rare occasion I have not had the breath or patience to reply as well.  Sometimes I reply but my voice is softer than expected and may not have been heard (panting).  So don't take it as a slight.. although I agree that people from crowded areas (e.g. East Coast, Europe) are generally much less enthusiastic about greeting each other or stopping to chat.  They sometimes look at me like they think I am going to mug them or try to bum money off them.   Or they don't look and completely ignore me like I was a tree or something.  In most cases I think these are 1st Timer Greenhorn's and have never been on a wild trail before.   They probably still think Texas is full of cowboys, indians, and swindlers, which of course is partially correct... TWWG

*

Offline Alien

  • Kangaroo Rat
  • *
  • 15
Hike Friendly......
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2006, 02:37:00 PM »
As an alien on the board I have to add my two cents.  I've been hiking a lot both in Europe and in the States, and my impression is that hikers in America seem surprised at my "hello" more often than hikers in other countries.  It is like they don't know what to do with my greetnigs #-o .  But it doesn't happen too often, and then even less on trails in the West or Southwest than, say, in the Smoky Mountains NP or in Florida (in this, now my, state, a hiker with a heavy backpack is still a curiosity for many people, I guess...).

Alien

*

chisos_muse

  • Guest
Hike Friendly......
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2006, 08:13:07 PM »
Quote from: "Alien"
As an alien on the board I have to add my two cents.  I've been hiking a lot both in Europe and in the States, and my impression is that hikers in America seem surprised at my "hello" more often than hikers in other countries.  It is like they don't know what to do with my greetnigs #-o .  But it doesn't happen too often, and then even less on trails in the West or Southwest than, say, in the Smoky Mountains NP or in Florida (in this, now my, state, a hiker with a heavy backpack is still a curiosity for many people, I guess...).

Alien


See that.......I didn't even know people hiked in Florida... :lol:
I thought y'all just walked around scantily clad sippin Mojito's! 8)

*

Offline Alien

  • Kangaroo Rat
  • *
  • 15
Hike Friendly......
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2006, 08:40:51 PM »
Oh yes, Muse, you can have some fantastic hikes in FL (and, of course, you can be scantily clad and sip whatever whilehiking!).  I was in despair when I learned that my life is putting me in Florida.  But I discovered many really beautiful preserves with nice trails here (it's not the Everglades which provide the best hikes), and I can backpack for three, four days in total solitude.  It is different to hiking anywhere else, and although I always thought I was a "mountain man," I'm becoming very fond of Florida's nature (i.e. what's left here).  Anytime you are here, Muse, I will be more than glad to help you with finding some great hikes.  But now I'm afraid of the Purgatory, so I won't say more about Florida on this Big Bend board  :roll:

*

chisos_muse

  • Guest
Hike Friendly......
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2006, 08:46:41 PM »
Quote from: "Alien"
Oh yes, Muse, you can have some fantastic hikes in FL (and, of course, you can be scantily clad and sip whatever whilehiking!).  I was in despair when I learned that my life is putting me in Florida.  But I discovered many really beautiful preserves with nice trails here (it's not the Everglades which provide the best hikes), and I can backpack for three, four days in total solitude.  It is different to hiking anywhere else, and although I always thought I was a "mountain man," I'm becoming very fond of Florida's nature (i.e. what's left here).  Anytime you are here, Muse, I will be more than glad to help you with finding some great hikes.  But now I'm afraid of the Purgatory, so I won't say more about Florida on this Big Bend board  :roll:


Aw heck, Alien........you can say whatever you want about Florida! Us Texan's aren't intimidated at all! 8)

*

Offline gilligan

  • Kangaroo Rat
  • *
  • 2
Hike Friendly......
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2007, 02:11:48 PM »
Quote from: "EdB"
I don't usually run into many people at all. I talked with a nice couple (from the northeast, of all places  :) ) for about 30 minutes in Pine Canyon.

First post here, but not the first time to Big Bend.
Sorry to drag this older post up but...
I just found this web site, page.
Thank you for the compliment Ed as I am one of the couple from the NE that met you in Pine Canyon. I think you had been there 3 days at the upper, better view, camp. And you had one bear sighting.
Well if it isn't you ...I 'll still accept the compilment since I currently live in the Northeast. Not born there , just doing time there.
I greet ,say hello, howdy, Hi to just about everyone and anyone.
I just have to find the right page here to introduce myself properly.
That is of course if there is a proper way to do that. (?)
Gilligan

*

Offline Burn Ban

  • Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • *
  • 595
Hike Friendly......
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2007, 06:00:30 PM »
Quote from: "gilligan"
I just have to find the right page here to introduce myself properly.
That is of course if there is a proper way to do that. (?)
Gilligan

i think you just did.  good to have you.

*

Offline TheWildWestGuy

  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • *
  • 1342
Hike Friendly......
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2007, 07:18:19 PM »
Yes welcome Gilligan, glad you found us! ... TWWG

*

Offline Bluetex

  • Diamondback
  • *
  • 325
Hike Friendly......
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2007, 08:33:34 PM »
Quote from: "gilligan"
I greet ,say hello, howdy, Hi to just about everyone and anyone.
I just have to find the right page here to introduce myself properly.
That is of course if there is a proper way to do that. (?)
Gilligan


Howdy gilligan :D welcome
" In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
                                              Abraham Lincoln

*

Offline okiehiker

  • Black Bear
  • *
  • 711
  • cryptantha crassipses
Sit right back...
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2007, 08:40:04 PM »
and you'll hear a tale...

or maybe three or four.  Welcome aboard!
Funny... I have a story about that...

*

Offline JohnG

  • Jack Rabbit
  • *
  • 23
Hike Friendly......
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2007, 12:09:21 AM »
Seems like the Europeans are more adventurous and willing to get out into the great outdoors.
We met a couple in Feb. from England, Nottingham I believe.  They were camping at Terlingua Abaja after spending a couple of days at Solis.  Had a great time talking to them.  They were in a Renault Turbo RV that they had shipped over from England, picked up back East, and were in the midst of spending A YEAR travelling around the country.  
I was very impressed with their vehicle, very self contained yet compact.  Looked like a Fed-Ex van only with extremely high ground clearance.  They said it got 22 mpg!!!
22!!!
My piddly little F-150 only gets 14 on a good day and they were getting 22 in an RV!!!  
Is Detroit lying to us? How come the Euro's get better milage? And the US companies can't figure out why people don't want to buy from them.
"Para todo mal, mezcal, para todo bien, tambien"

*

Offline KDann

  • Diamondback
  • *
  • 113
Hike Friendly......
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2007, 02:13:33 AM »
Quote from: "JohnG"
Seems like the Europeans are more adventurous and willing to get out into the great outdoors.
We met a couple in Feb. from England, Nottingham I believe.  They were camping at Terlingua Abaja after spending a couple of days at Solis.  Had a great time talking to them.  They were in a Renault Turbo RV that they had shipped over from England, picked up back East, and were in the midst of spending A YEAR travelling around the country.  
I was very impressed with their vehicle, very self contained yet compact.  Looked like a Fed-Ex van only with extremely high ground clearance.  They said it got 22 mpg!!!
22!!!
My piddly little F-150 only gets 14 on a good day and they were getting 22 in an RV!!!  
Is Detroit lying to us? How come the Euro's get better milage? And the US companies can't figure out why people don't want to buy from them.


Heh, thats funny, me and my brother(Bdann) saw them last year at about the same time. As for the better mileage...well look at most European/Japanese cars, or trucks. They have smaller, more economical(and in some cases more powerful) engines-yet still very fuel efficient. Alot of "Europe" only cars/trucks/vans have smaller engines than your average American car/truck/van because of the cost of gas there. But like I said, some are smaller, yet more powerful-but still get better gas mileage than your average American car/van/truck.

 


©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

 2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Powered by EzPortal

Facebook Comments