Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Laguna Meadow Trail hiking time

• 6 Replies

Offline mogwai

• Kangaroo Rat
Laguna Meadow Trail hiking time
« on: August 02, 2018, 04:25:45 PM »
Apologies if this is a question that can be easily found but in using the search feature, I could not seem to find a clear, concise answer to hiking time.

First, a nice long-winded preamble  :dance:

Last time I hiked to the Rim I was in much worse shape...heavier, smoker and I was exceptionally fatigued.  None of this things apply any longer other than those brought on my being 10 years older.

Wife and I are planning on spending a couple evenings on the rim.  Considering the state of drought in the area, and the time of year we are going (mid-September) we are planning on carrying all our water with us.  So yeah, we'll be pack mules except the pay will be worse.

We're in no rush to make the rim, so it made sense to stop the first night at Laguna Meadow, either the Laguna West campsites or the sites near Blue Creek (that's a misleading name) Canyon Trail....4 miles total and 1600' climb.

Anyone have an average time to hike from the trailhead to the Laguna Meadow intersection?  With fully loaded packs and a few breaks before the higher grade climbs I was thinking 6 hours total but it's been so long that perhaps I'm overestimating?

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Re: Laguna Meadow Trail hiking time
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 05:48:04 PM »
Good for you and your life-style changes - Good health and Good hiking!
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 06:22:20 PM »

Anyone have an average time to hike from the trailhead to the Laguna Meadow intersection?  With fully loaded packs and a few breaks before the higher grade climbs I was thinking 6 hours total but it's been so long that perhaps I'm overestimating?

I'm old, and slow.... 3 hours. See below to LW1 which is about the same as LM. Add 30 more minutes if you take longer breaks

Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 06:26:49 PM »
It took us 2-hours last week to reach the pass and 2.75 hours total to reach the Laguna outhouse. We weren't backpacking, but I was stopping a lot to take pictures... Maybe give yourselves about 3 to 3-1/2 hours with a heavier load to reach the Laguna sites.

Offline mogwai

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 07:50:56 PM »

I'm old, and slow.... 3 hours. See below to LW1 which is about the same as LM. Add 30 more minutes if you take longer breaks

Great thanks.  Is that image from CalTopo?

Seems like 3-4 hours is a good target. It's the water weight that's got me somewhat more interested than usual. Originally we thought 1 night LW then 2 additional nights SW Rim before taking Pinnacles back in day 4. 

...but the water...and the weight... :banghead: :pissed:

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 08:18:37 PM »

Great thanks.  Is that image from CalTopo?

Seems like 3-4 hours is a good target. It's the water weight that's got me somewhat more interested than usual. Originally we thought 1 night LW then 2 additional nights SW Rim before taking Pinnacles back in day 4. 

...but the water...and the weight... :banghead: :pissed:

Image from garmin BaseCamp. Stats from a recorded track of a previous hike

Depending on the time of the year and the rainfall, it is possible to reduce your water load by supplementing from Boot Canyon, or even Upper Cattail Canyon during a Rim loop.

When are you going?

Take a look at this link for options..... My plan was to take only 3 quarts of water and replenish in the Chisos.

https://mirrormagic.com/2016/09/11/chisos-mountains-summer-rain/

Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline mogwai

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 09:18:10 AM »

Image from garmin BaseCamp. Stats from a recorded track of a previous hike

Depending on the time of the year and the rainfall, it is possible to reduce your water load by supplementing from Boot Canyon, or even Upper Cattail Canyon during a Rim loop.

When are you going?

Take a look at this link for options..... My plan was to take only 3 quarts of water and replenish in the Chisos.

https://mirrormagic.com/2016/09/11/chisos-mountains-summer-rain/

Looks great.  I'll have to check it out.  Been using Caltopo but it's online and sometimes slower.  I opted for a non-fitness watch (Suunto Essential) so I'm not as connectable to some things but the idea of linking a hike to software brings out my inner nerd.

Mid-September this year so we're hoping some rain relieves the need to carry so much water.  Thanks for the link - looks like the weather gods treated you well that year.  I hope we are as lucky,  and I'll look through your blog post more closely this evening with my better half.  Great post and fantastic pictures.  Thanks again!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!