Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Late March packing trip

• 3 Replies

Offline Garrettisarealtor

• Kangaroo Rat
Late March packing trip
« on: February 11, 2020, 08:58:52 PM »
Hey guys!
Ive really enjoyed reading through all the topics on this site. Information overload!  :willynilly:

I am looking for a good itinerary for a 2 night backpacking trip in late March. (Or is March the WORST time to go?)

I would love to hear what you guys would recommend.

Since i haven't been to BB since i was a kid in boy scouts, this is basically a first time trip again.  :dance:

Thank you!
- Garrett   

Oh... we could do 3 nights if needed for the recommended experience
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 09:32:47 PM by Garrettisarealtor »

Offline BigBendGuide.com

• BigBendGuide.com
  • Kangaroo Rat
  • To help educate conservation and respect
    • Big Bend Guide
Re: Late March packing trip
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 09:55:35 PM »
You do start to get Spring Break crowds in march so it does get busier, but relative to other parks its no worries. In July, I feel like I have the park to myself ;)
Are you set on a 2-night backpacking trip? Going back for the first time, it may be cool to have a nice itinerary of several day hikes. But there's just so much to do too!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 10:16:12 PM by BigBendGuide.com »
https://bigbendguide.com
@BigBendGuide (Instagram & Twitter)

Offline Garrettisarealtor

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 10:38:18 PM »
Thank you for the reply!

I am kinda set on a few night back country trip.. I'm looking at the Recreation.gov website trying to put together a good 20ish mile itinerary.
any recommendations on what back country sites I should book? and what trails are a must travel around the South Rim?

Thanks bud!

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 06:33:53 AM »
Welcome to BBC Garrettisarealtor!

Late March is after the big Spring Break rush (for Texas schools) but there are still some around,  The bigger issue is it can begin to get hot in the lower desert so you would need to play it by ear.  I would consider the Outer Mountain Loop as it is the best introduction to the parks ecosystems with killer views but, again, it can be hot along the Dodson.

Check out the Trip Reports Indexes for both OML reports and other ideas.

Unless you only stay up in the Chisos the recreation.gov website won't give you much information to plan an itinerary other than what campsites are available up there.  Know that the Chisos only have 19 miles of trails total and a few of those are closed along the East Rim for peregrine falcon nesting.  It is also a bit difficult to do two nights as the only water is in Boot canyon and by that time Boot Spring might be dry but there are pools of water up canyon you can pull from if you feel comfortable with it and treat it.  Again read trip reports for the Chisos.

The other two choices, but would be overnighters are the Marufo Vega trail but certainly not a place to be when it is hot.   And into the Mule Ears spring zone out to Smoky creek.  Mule Ears spring is one of the largest in the desert.

Keep asking us questions as you come up with ideas.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!