Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Looking for hiking partner for Emory Peak

• 9 Replies

Offline Archbob

• Kangaroo Rat
Looking for hiking partner for Emory Peak
« on: January 15, 2014, 12:28:39 AM »
Going to visit Big bend soon, on the 19th-21st(three days) and will attempt Emory peak. I've climbed other peaks in the appalachians and adirondacks(the high peaks) like Cascade and Mount Giant so I'm a decent hiker up mountain trails. I'm a bit worried about the mountain lions though so I was wondering if there is anyone else going to hike emory during these days that I could tag along with?

Offline rking

• Coyote
Re: Looking for hiking partner for Emory Peak
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:43:08 AM »
Mountain lions aren't really a problem.  Just be aware of a few basic precautions in the rare chance you do see one.  Don't run, try to make yourself look bigger, etc.  You're more likely to see a rattlesnake than a mountain lion.  Just watch where you put your hands and feet.

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 07:18:07 AM »
Buy a lotto ticket if you see a mountain lion, it's your lucky day. Enjoy the hike and view.
Everything is in walking distance if you have enough time.

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:53:07 AM »
Mountain lions really are not a concern.  You should have plenty of company on the trail any of those days.

Offline Archbob

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 02:01:55 PM »
For those of you who have done both, how does Emory hike compare to adirondacks high peaks like Algonquin peak)

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 02:44:29 PM »
I dunno Alginquin, but Emory is a hike until the last 30 feet or so.  It's pretty easy as a dayhike.  Here's a vid of the last little climb, which makes it seem  lot harder than it is:

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 03:11:22 PM »
I dunno Alginquin, but Emory is a hike until the last 30 feet or so.  It's pretty easy as a dayhike.  Here's a vid of the last little climb, which makes it seem  lot harder than it is:

Here's some more scrambling footage:

I'm glad I didn't try to video our summit efforts last month, as the audio would've been full of my grunts and groans. :icon_rolleyes:

Offline AggieOO

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 09:23:38 PM »
I've only come across a mountain lion once (in GUMO, not BB), and that guy/girl wanted nothing to do with us.  It bolted the second I spotted it.

Offline Geezer

• Black Bear
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 09:47:09 PM »
I went up Emory Peak with my neighbor in may 2013. It was his third time. He was 78 and wants to do it again this year, at 79. It's a walk-up, except for the last 30 feet or so, which are a scramble.

That said, my neighbor is an exceptional specimen. Proverbial little wiry guy. Will run you into the ground.

One thing: at the top of the trail, before the scramble, you'll see that there are actually two peaks. The taller is the right hand one.

It's a lot of fun, and you can see more of the park than from the rim.

Geezer

Offline Sunsetpar

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 10:34:11 AM »
A friend and I hiked up Emory Peak on Tuesday, Jan. 14, via Pinnacles (up) and Laguna Meadows (down).  We saw only one other person the whole day, a single who was going up the Emory Peak trail as we were going down....had a great day with perfect weather for hiking
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous- leading to the most amazing view."  Edward Abbey

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!