Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Message in a bottle?

• 6 Replies

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
Message in a bottle?
« on: September 13, 2019, 07:50:02 PM »
This message was scrawled on the door to the shed at the back of the cabin near Boot Spring. Interesting. Does anyone know the rest of the story?
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline Slimkitty

• Coyote
Re: Message in a bottle?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 06:44:51 AM »
The cave man, when confused and frightened by the forces of nature, might find some comfort making primitive cave drawings.  With a f*#%ing sharpie. 

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 12:49:11 PM »
"Cave man with a sharpie." I'm going to be laughing about that all day. All kidding aside, I hope no one was hurt.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 10:48:50 PM »
If it is a joke, it isn't funny.  If it was a real emergency, I hope they were safe.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 10:01:16 AM »
I haven't been to that cabin.  The first thing I'm lead to believe is someone broke into it during a storm.  Then left that msg apologizing for doing so. 

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 11:28:43 AM »
The writing looks kind of faded. Unless the sharpie was running out, it may have happened a while back...  :eusa_think:

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 11:33:48 AM »
I've been there maybe 15-20 times in the last couple years, never noticed it but then again I don't look at the cabin much, just like to lay on the picnic table.

The idea that there would be danger from lightning there is a bit far-fetched.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!