Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

New CMT map?

• 7 Replies

Offline marufo

• Coyote
New CMT map?
« on: February 26, 2017, 11:33:37 AM »
I see that on their website BBNHA has a new "revised" "full-color" version of the Chisos Mountains Trails map. Has anybody seen one? Comments?

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: New CMT map?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 11:55:26 AM »
I saw one at Persimmon Gap VC yesterday on my way out of the Park.  It looked nicely enough done.  Almost got one, but decided against it, since the one I have is not worn out. Noticed it had Lower Juniper Spring in the "wrong" spot... The Emory Peak trail has been updated, not sure what else would be "revised".

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 12:58:10 PM »

Online mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 01:19:13 PM »
I see they have finally taken the old EP1 campsite off and made the Blue Creek trail 5.9 miles (has been 5.5) and Juniper canyon trail 6.7 miles (was 6.2).  Didn't look any closer but wonder if there are any other changes like that?
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline GaryF

• Coyote
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 04:01:43 PM »
Nice!   I have a 2016 revision. It had the mileage and campsite updates that Mule Ears mentioned, but it did not have the color. Cattail Falls was labeled on the 2016, but it looks like it was dropped from the 2017 rev.

Offline kayziewayzie

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 09:32:29 PM »
The new map was created after NPS personnel using a surveyers' wheel walked all the Chisos trails so the new milages are more accurate than the old maps. Well worth the $1.39 price for this colorful map. KK

Offline Imre

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 08:10:18 AM »
Also it has my photograph of a colima warbler on the reverse.  8) [Not kidding.]

Offline marufo

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 07:47:26 PM »
Also it has my photograph of a colima warbler on the reverse.  8) [Not kidding.]

Cool!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!