Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Rice Tank....

• 1 Replies

Chad

Rice Tank....
« on: February 12, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
Hello all. 

I know this is a board for Hiking the Chisos, but wanted to throw this question out as it seems that most of the action on this site takes place here.

Planning a trip to Big Bend next weekend.  Have always stayed at backcountry roadside campsites as this will be my fifth trip in the last seven years.   Was wondering if anyone had ever stayed at Rice Tank?  From what I have researched this site should have great views of the Chisos but still be pretty accessible to the main park road.  If anyone has any insite, pictures, or whatnot please pass along the info.  Also any info on roostewr's Ridge would be appreciated, as the views from this site look amazing.

So far we have stayed at Pine Canyon 2 and 3, Johnson's Ranch, La Noria #2 (which we loved), Gravel Pit, Grapevine hills #2.  Was wondering how Rice Tank compared to some of these sites, espically La Noria.  We prefer to be on the East side of the Chisos as we love watching the sun set over the mountains.

Thanks in advance.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Rice Tank....
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 03:17:30 PM »
I know this is a board for Hiking the Chisos, but wanted to throw this question out as it seems that most of the action on this site takes place here.

Actually the appropriate place is over in the Backcountry Camping forum.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!