Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Snake Question

• 20 Replies

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
Snake Question
« on: September 05, 2018, 07:25:40 AM »
My wife and I are going hiking in Utah in a couple of weeks and she asked me to get a snake bite kit. Seemed like a good idea, I've been thinking about doing that for my BB trips  anyway. After doing some "internet research" it seems snake bite kits are out of favor these days - they do no good and possibly do some harm.

So, now I'm thinking about leggings. I've never hiked in snake leggings so I'm a little leary.  Any thoughts on these ? Any particular brand or type  that might be better for desert use ?

Thanks folks.

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
Re: Snake Question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 07:54:58 AM »
I've been wondering the same thing myself. I look forward to the answers to come.

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 08:08:49 AM »
I got nothing on snake leggings, but I would offer this thought.  I think I actually put this out one time before regarding hiking boots or something.

I was in Okinawa for a few years and spent most of my time surfing over sharp shallow reefs loaded with urchins.  I purchased some booties to help protect against the spines of the urchins.  Now and then I'd forget them and surfed barefooted.  I noticed I usually got fewer urchins and cuts when I didn't have them.  I attributed this to the fact that with booties, I relied on their protection and I walked over the reef without much care or concern.  Without them, I was careful and paid more attention to my steps and actually tried to stay on my board, paddling a lot more.

My point being, even with leggings, you still have to be careful.  You can't strap them on and walk haphazardly through high grass and stick your feet in rocky holes, etc.  Not that I think you would,   

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 08:19:27 AM »
The information you found about snake bite kits/extractors is correct, not the way to deal with snake bites today. 

As to leggings I have not experience but I would say that snakes are not a thing to worry about in Utah, there are some but not like Texas.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 08:36:22 AM »
I haven't worn any myself, but then I don't get to spend much time out in the wild these days.

I use Turtleskin gaiters pretty much every time I am out. I do a lot of off-trail hiking and have a lot of snake encounters and these gaiters let me walk through the brush with impunity. They are pricing, but they are also pretty much impervious. Catclaw, pitaya, prickly pear,... nothing gets through.

http://www.turtleskin.com/Snake-Gaiters.aspx

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 10:25:33 AM »
Amatures!

The man reports that that "she (his wife) asked me to get a snake bite kit."  His problem has very little to do with the actual usefulness of a snake bite kit.  His problem has to do with soothing the fears of his wife. 

Regardless of what our society says about the sameness of men and women, the fact remains that most men are more logical  and most women are more emotional in their primary approaches to decision making.

Experienced husbands are not being crass or condescending  when they buy a useless little something just to make their wives feel better.   

Buy the silly little kit and enjoy the hike. 

Better yet, GOOGLE "snake bite kits," show her the ones that are available, and let her select the prettiest one.

GEEZE - are none of you guys married??
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 10:43:53 AM »
Amatures!

The man reports that that "she (his wife) asked me to get a snake bite kit."  His problem has very little to do with the actual usefulness of a snake bite kit.  His problem has to do with soothing the fears of his wife. 

Regardless of what our society says about the sameness of men and women, the fact remains that most men are more logical  and most women are more emotional in their primary approaches to decision making.

Experienced husbands are not being crass or condescending  when they buy a useless little something just to make their wives feel better.   

Better yet, GOOGLE "snake bite kits," show her the ones that are available, and let her select the prettiest one.

Well, not any more...

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 02:01:13 PM »

Nope, go to Home Depot and get a couple pieces of 6" single-wall exhaust flue.

Slide over legs.

You're good to go.

For additional style get enough pipe and a metal funnel so you can be the Tin Man tromping around Big Bend.

With care and stealth (as long as you don't clink and clank too much) you can be the metallic version of Big Foot, otherwise known as Sassy Squash by Texans unable to properly pronounce Sasquatch.

BIBETM (the TM for Tin Man, obviously). Rumored to exist, seen in grainy photos, but never actually proven.

When eventually captured by the funny hatters for traipsing about without all the permits, tell them to get a heart and be nice.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Losthiker68

• Roadrunner
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 06:52:37 PM »
I've got a background in herpetology, did my master's thesis on the subject. I've spent a lot of time actively looking for snakes and still saw very few. Most of the time, we had to make an effort to locate them by flipping large rocks or rolling over downed wood.

According to the quick search I did, Utah has either 4 or 7 venomous snake species, depending how you count (3 of them are subspecies of Crotalus viridis). All of them are rattlesnakes. Nearly all of the rattlesnakes I've dealt with (mostly Western Diamondbacks) have just wanted to get away. The only one that got aggressive with us was protecting young (one of only 2 species of snake in the US that does so).

Honestly, the weight of snake leggings just isn't worth it. Just use your eyes, ears, and your "sixth sense" to avoid them. Don't put your hands or feet anywhere you can't see. If you get a gut feeling that says to avoid a shrub, rock, or patch of grass, avoid it.

And I agree with dprather, useless though it may be, get the snake bite kit for peace of mind. Read up on field care for snake bite just in case but always seek medical attention if its a rattler - the venom may not kill you directly but it'll destroy the flesh around the bite if not dealt with properly and that invites all kinds of infection.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 12:45:36 PM by Losthiker68 »
Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. - John Muir

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 07:11:04 PM »
I have an old Cutter snake bite kit that I could paint pink and mail it to you.;-)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 07:18:29 PM »
For the record, I found the razor in my old Cutter Snake Bite Kit to be quite useful back in my Boy Scout days for digging out splinters when I couldn't find my tweezers. Go ahead and buy one, just don't use anything other than the antiseptic if you get bit. Better still, don't get bit. ;)

Offline Hookim

• Coyote
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 08:07:21 PM »
Guys, I've been to Big Bend in the winter and every month from April to August and have yet to hear or see a rattler (there, or any other place, for that matter). Honestly, that was initially one of my biggest fears in backpacking alone, but it's proven to be for naught. Not to say that I've gotten cocky - I'm still aware like losthiker68 recommends. I'm for regular ol' hiking pants, caution, and a soap and water cleanse if bit until proper medical attention can be sought.

Have fun in UT! I'll be doing a half marathon in Zion first week of October and scurrying around those parts for a few days.

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 09:14:12 PM »
Thanks for the tips - think I'll pass on the stove pipe though. 
For the record, I've been to BBNP more times than I can remember and to the Ranch several times  and never saw a Rattler until my last 2 trips. Saw one on the porch at the bunkhouse at Sauceda last Nov. (western diamondback) who rattled a little , I guess we got too close, before slithering away into the walls of the bunkhouse !   And on my last trip to the National Park in May I saw a Banded Rock rattler crossing the Boot Canton Trail in perfect position to be stepped on but I saw him in time. He was not interested in me, just crossing the path. I'm not overly concerned with them but if a snakebite kit was useful (apparently not) it would be easy enough to carry. The leggings seem too cumbersome, at least for what we have in mind. I may rethink that before my next trip to the ranch (Nov.) per Ranger Tim's old post (thanks Richard).

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 10:22:46 PM »

Nope, go to Home Depot and get a couple pieces of 6" single-wall exhaust flue.

Slide over legs.

You're good to go.

For additional style get enough pipe and a metal funnel so you can be the Tin Man tromping around Big Bend.

With care and stealth (as long as you don't clink and clank too much) you can be the metallic version of Big Foot, otherwise known as Sassy Squash by Texans unable to properly pronounce Sasquatch.

BIBETM (the TM for Tin Man, obviously). Rumored to exist, seen in grainy photos, but never actually proven.

When eventually captured by the funny hatters for traipsing about without all the permits, tell them to get a heart and be nice.
Classic Presidio.

Sent from my Note 8 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 10:24:21 PM »
Amatures!

Exactly.  I had to purchase one for my first wife when she first went out to the park with me.  We had a great time.

Sent from my Note 8 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!