Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

South Rim + Emory in one day

• 10 Replies

Offline andrwtzel

• Roadrunner
South Rim + Emory in one day
« on: March 02, 2015, 07:26:56 PM »
Trying to plan our first trip, and wanted to know if anyone has ever hiked the south rim trail + emory all in one day? If so, how long did it take?

We are planning to stay at the Basin the night before and would get a 8am start. For what its worth, we are both in good hiking condition.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: South Rim + Emory in one day
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:33:59 PM »
My son and I did it in about 10 hours. This is approximately 16 miles. I took rain gear, food, and 3 or 4 liters of water. Must eat steak afterwords. :)

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 08:49:25 PM »
Trying to plan our first trip, and wanted to know if anyone has ever hiked the south rim trail + emory all in one day? If so, how long did it take?

We are planning to stay at the Basin the night before and would get a 8am start. For what its worth, we are both in good hiking condition.
Why so late? Hit the trail as the sun's coming up (or even before) to maximize your available time. No sense trying to rush this hike. The South Rim alone is about 12.1 miles round trip from the Basin. Adding Emory brings it to 15.3. Add another mile or so if you start your hike from the campground. You can shorten it a little bit by parking up by the stone cabins (assuming there are spaces available). I would recommend starting up the Laguna Meadow Trail in the morning to the South Rim. On your way back to the Pinnacles Trail after passing through Boot Canyon, you can decide if you're up for the Emory excursion (1.6 miles one way). Take along some headlamps, just in case you end up hiking after sundown. And of course, wear sunscreen, broad-brimmed hat, take plenty of water and snacks, etc.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 09:01:50 PM »
What Richard said.

www.virtualbigbend. com - now mobile friendly!

Offline Talusman

• Black Bear
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 09:14:34 PM »
I agree. My brother and I did the South Rim and Emory Peak one day in  Spring 2012 (it was dry as a bone then). We took a bro picture at the start and it was still dark. It will take a full day, but it is very doable. We went out from the Basin on Laguna Meadow trail, then South Rim Trail. We had to cut back at Boot Canyon because of the Peregrine Falcon closure. We did Emory Peak last and came back in on Pinnacles Trail. It was a rewarding day. Good Luck!
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline porphyra

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 10:50:53 AM »
My girlfriend and I just did South Rim + Emory last weekend. We had a relatively late start at 10:30 am and finished at 7:00 pm. With breaks etc, that was around 8.5 hours. We went up pinnacle and came back down via laguna (which was rather underwhelming). I suppose if the NE/SE rim weren't closed due to the Peregrine falcon nesting, and we had wanted to do that, we would have likely run out of daylight. Still we ended up doing around 15-16 miles which was quite the day.

I ended up drink almost 3 litres on the trip, so take plenty of water with you. Totally doable if you are in decent shape, and really worth it.

Offline mini64

• Jack Rabbit
    • Team Fawcett
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 12:17:43 PM »
My fit wife, 14 year old daughter and myself did it.  We went up meadows and did the south then north rims, leaving Emory till the end.  Was an all day hike but not too bad.  The steps down Emory then the rest of the way back down to the basin shot some our knees and we walked funny the next day.  This was in a July and we were crazy enough to do old ore trail to the first tower then next day.

Offline andrwtzel

• Roadrunner
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 01:07:45 PM »
Good to hear.

We will be hitting the South Rim + Emory on Thursday. Weather calls for 82 degrees. We will each be packing 3-4 L of water. Looking to leave from the Basin around sunrise.

Offline Geezer

• Black Bear
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 11:01:31 PM »
Rather than hauling all that water up the hill, investigate the possibility of filtering some at Boot Spring or Boot Creek.

Look for recent posts on this site concerning obtaining water there.

Geezer

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 07:11:43 PM »
I have done it but I wouldn't recommend it. This may be heresy but in my opinion Emory peak is overrated. To be sure the view is spectacular, but the view from the South Rim (albeit to the South) is equally spectacular. My advice: skip Emory peak in favor of the South Rim.  Why not just start early and take the time to enjoy the hike?
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 11:55:08 AM »
I agree, Imre.
Wake me when it's time to go.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!