Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

South Rim with a 10-month old

• 15 Replies

Offline Homer67

• Passionate Backpacker
  • Black Bear
  • Be Amazing.
Re: South Rim with a 10-month old
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 04:58:47 PM »
I was faced with similar questions when we flew to Seatac last October. We have an Osprey Poco Premium; we packed it in its original box it was shipped to us in and checked it with our luggage,  We flew Southwest and bought a ticket for our daughter, who flew with her car seat. With Southwest one gets a carry on and two pieces of checked baggage, each 50 lbs or less, with each ticket. The dimensions of the checked baggage must total 64" or less (H+W+L; I called), so I boxed a lot of equipment. Apparently someone even checked a watermelon on SW once. I thought of shipping our equipment and I was sure glad when I could just check it as luggage and had no extra costs.

We bought the adapter that allowed baby's infant car seat to attach to her jogger.  This makes it immensely easy at the airport; the stroller can be checked at the gate and will be waiting right outside the door of the plane on the jetway when you deplane. We enjoy the early family boarding. :)

Untitled by Superhomer670, on Flickr

Untitled by Superhomer670, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:16:35 PM by Homer67 »
Ah Big Bend, we will soon return to reacquaint ourselves in our ritual of blood, exhaustion and dehydration. How can we resist the temptation to strip ourselves of the maladies of civilization?

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!