Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

The last two weeks in July

• 44 Replies

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Re: The last two weeks in July
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 08:08:27 AM »
Opinion....South Rim via Laguna Meadow vs Pinnacles

From the Basin trailhead to the SW Rim overlook:
Via Laguna Meadow - 6.1 miles

From the Basin trailhead to the closest point on the S Rim:
Via Pinnacle/Boot Canyon - 6.01 miles

For Emory Peak and Boot Canyon daytrippers, the Pinnacles is the obvious choice, however for Rim trips it's not so clear cut.

When using the Pinnacles trail to reach the Rim, the elevation penalty is dropping into Boot Canyon. The cost is about 200' that has to be re-earned to get to the Rim.

So....Unless I was doing Boot Canyon only, I don't ever hike up the Pinnacles.

For loops, I typically go up Laguna Meadow and down the Pinnacles, but not always.

The sun/shade controversy is overblown for me as I typically start my hikes early either going up or coming down unless its a daytrip.

In conclusion...it all depends on the purpose of your hike and final destination. I personally like Boot Canyon and the Colima Trail and try to include them in any High Chisos multi day trip. Boot tends to be a requirement (water resupply). Cattail may work for water but it is NOT reliable except during the rainy season.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 11:21:44 AM »
100% agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
The last two weeks in July
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 02:51:13 PM »
Im 63 so I need to listen to yalls wisdom!  Unlike my last venture Im in backpacking shape this time so I need to push the machismo down!  Our goal is to spend 3 peaceful nights and 3 1/2 days in the high Chisos and above all have fun. We want to sleep on the NE and SW rims. 

Sounds like first night at a LM or LW site, followed by a NE site, followed by a SW site makes the most sense.  We could come down Pinnacles I suppose.  Not sure my knees would like that but my son would get to see it all so to speak.

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 03:27:12 PM »
Im 63 so I need to listen to yalls wisdom!  Unlike my last venture Im in backpacking shape this time so I need to push the machismo down!  Our goal is to spend 3 peaceful nights and 3 1/2 days in the high Chisos and above all have fun. We want to sleep on the NE and SW rims. 

Sounds like first night at a LM or LW site, followed by a NE site, followed by a SW site makes the most sense.  We could come down Pinnacles I suppose.  Not sure my knees would like that but my son would get to see it all so to speak.

If your last night is at a SW site, it is easier to do the Laguna Meadow trail......... however if you want to do all of Boot Canyon on the way down....... the Pinnacles it will be!
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 03:57:48 PM »
Seems like it might make more sense to camp at LW or LM, a SW site a NE site and then head down? 

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 04:06:29 PM »
Im 63 so I need to listen to yalls wisdom!
I  would advise against exploring upper cattail. Badknees has posted a link to a great video of the little dam, but be aware that it may look like this! And Hmod wasn't kidding about fighting your way through in places, nor was he kidding about how hot and exposed it is. Thirty years ago, upper cattail was a fun little adventure for me, in large measure because I was still able to follow an old stock trail to the dam. But that was then, this is now. Today I am only one year younger than you. By 2015, the old stock trail was gone. I could find trail fragments maintained by the black bear and mountain lion. But that wasn't much help, since I am a lot taller than either and I prefer to walk upright. And trekking poles were essential -- without them, I might have done a face-plant into a cactus.
Hope this helps,
Imre
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 04:36:23 PM »
I did Upper Cattail about three summers ago in a wonderfully cool August.

+1 about the absence of trails through the brush. 
-------------------
Here is my plan for my son (Lord willing).

Leave his house in Houston very early in the AM on Monday (July 22).  Take on the driving as a team effort and push all the way through to the Bend that afternoon.  Eat at Lum's in Junction on the way.

Hike up LM on Tuesday AM.  Make base camp at LM 1 or LM 2 (JC 1 is plan C). 

Spend Wednesday exploring the High Chisos.

Come down (sadly) on Thursday AM.  Take in Boquillas for lunch before beginning the trip back home.  Spend the night at Seminole Canyon and possibly take in the Cave art the next morning. 

Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 04:42:26 PM »
Im 63 so I need to listen to yalls wisdom!
I  would advise against exploring upper cattail. Badknees has posted a link to a great video of the little dam, but be aware that it may look like this! And Hmod wasn't kidding about fighting your way through in places, nor was he kidding about how hot and exposed it is. Thirty years ago, upper cattail was a fun little adventure for me, in large measure because I was still able to follow an old stock trail to the dam. But that was then, this is now. Today I am only one year younger than you. By 2015, the old stock trail was gone. I could find trail fragments maintained by the black bear and mountain lion. But that wasn't much help, since I am a lot taller than either and I prefer to walk upright. And trekking poles were essential -- without them, I might have done a face-plant into a cactus.
Hope this helps,
Imre

I was retired the last time I did Upper Cattail!  I posted earlier that the drainage isn't reliable for water except possible during the rainy season.

I have never felt like its exposed or all that hot. Contrairily, the first 1/3 is in the trees. It is a bushwhack, though and if you're not up to it, I would advise skipping it altogether.

That being said, I am 3 years older now than I was last time and I wouldn't hesitate to hit the dam again late this summer. I have hiked down to the dam at least a dozen times and I think its a cool place. Seriously, it's not that tough......However to each.......
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 04:56:16 PM »
Seems like it might make more sense to camp at LW or LM, a SW site a NE site and then head down? 

The problem with that plan is water. If you go from a LW or LM site to SW, you will not have water resupply unless you go across Colima and down into to Boot and then back up to SW.

or alternately to SW  then down into Boot and back up again to SW.

Remember, unless you are going to hump 3 days worth of water, you're going to need Boot Canyon

IMHO -Too much up and down for a leisurely trip.......however. ...if that suits you, do it. it's all pretty in the summer.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2019, 03:36:11 PM »
Point taken!  Too old to hump 3 days worth of water!

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2019, 04:24:26 PM »
Point taken!  Too old to hump 3 days worth of water!

At 63 now, I once felt the need to hump lots of water in the Bend.  Then I discovered what many on here have known for a long time.  Water in the Boot Pipe and in Fresno Creek  is delicious. 

Further, caching water at Homer Wilson and at the Juniper/Dodson bear box is no big deal. 

NOTE: if you drop water at the Juniper/Dodson bear box, then you might as well begin and end your OML there.  If you follow the traditional OML route, you can then pick up cached water at Homer Wilson and get water out of a tap at the Basin.

Earlier this spring, I did an OML solo and never carried more than three liters.  I could have done it on two liters (but why take the chance).
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Hookim

• Coyote
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 05:27:48 PM »
I concur about not coming down Laguna Meadows for any reason unless you can make it back to the Basin by 10a. That black sand and exposure had me stumbling to my car on my last trip.

Where is Townsend Peak, btw?

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 05:45:20 PM »
Townsend is the high point up by NE rim

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2019, 05:47:37 PM »

That black sand and exposure had me stumbling to my car on my last trip.

I have a nickname for that stretch of the Laguna Meadow Trail. I call it "The Oven".  :icon_cool:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 08:57:10 PM by Flash »

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 07:16:32 PM »
I concur about not coming down Laguna Meadows for any reason unless you can make it back to the Basin by 10a. That black sand and exposure had me stumbling to my car on my last trip.

Where is Townsend Peak, btw?
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!