Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

The last two weeks in July

• 49 Replies

Offline Bo_dynasty

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: The last two weeks in July
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2019, 07:09:22 AM »
Great info in this thread, thank you from a newbie.

Iím planning a one night overnighter first backpacking trip up the High Chisos, wanting to experience the sunset/sunrise on the rim. My plan was Pinnacles/Emory Peak-SW4-BootCanyon/Pinnacles. Does that sound like a good plan or any other suggestions for a first trip up?

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2019, 09:07:47 AM »
For the first time up I would stay at SE1 for convince.  View is just as good.  For a first time backpacking trip that will last only one night, you can do a few things to cut weight.  No extra clothes except an extra pair of socks and maybe an extra pair of chonies.  Stop at Subway in Fort Stockton and pick up a foot-long sandwich for dinner up on the rim.  Add on a couple of hippy turd power bars for breakfast and snacks, and your food is covered.  No need for a stove or fuel.  You will only need a rain jacket for warmth.  Remember, rotten cotton kills, so wear synthetic clothes so you dry out fast from sweating.  Bury your poop and bring out all TP and trash.  Enjoy!
For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2019, 09:31:05 AM »
Hey Bo, when are you making your hike? If youíre going prior to 7/29 could you post a water report, please?  Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2019, 09:37:03 AM »
Sounds like a good plan; If it's your first time up there, I strongly recommend exploring every campsite you pass, get a feel for your favorites; mine are SW3, SE3 and NE4, FWIW.  Or whatever they're calling them now.  But I can just as easily camp in one of the Colimas especially if it's crowded and if there's wind.

El Hombre's advice about packing is very good advice.  I've gone lighter and lighter over the years and for your proposed trip, my entire pack would be 8-10 pounds.  Makes things so much more pleasant, gives you more options.

Enjoy!

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2019, 10:10:37 AM »
My approach to High Chisos camping and backpacking is a bit different.  I like the Colima sites, especially Colima #2.

Why?

(1) By camping along the Colima Trail, I do not have to lug my backpack all the way up to the Rim.  I establish a base camp from which I can explore.

(2) Far from the maddening crowds, the Colima sites are still close to water at Boot Pipe.

(3) The Colima Trail is just magical.

Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2019, 10:27:09 AM »
Yep; last 2 times I've camped there have been on Colima

Offline Bo_dynasty

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2019, 10:44:22 AM »
Thanks all. I am going out this weekend. Doing South Rim on Saturday, 7/20. I'll post a water report after.

Planning to be light but was thinking about water:
3L Camelback
3 x 2L platypus
2 20oz Gatorade
1 32oz Nalgene

How does that sound?

Offline Jim

• Black Bear
  • Visiting BBNP since 1975
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2019, 11:01:02 AM »
Usually there are plenty of camp sites available in the Chisos during the last two weeks in July.  Here's what it looked like in 2017 ( the last full year El Campo was used).

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2019, 11:02:08 AM »
Thanks all. I am going out this weekend. Doing South Rim on Saturday, 7/20. I'll post a water report after.

Planning to be light but was thinking about water:
3L Camelback
3 x 2L platypus
2 20oz Gatorade
1 32oz Nalgene

How does that sound?
Sounds heavy, unless you are planning to fill the 3 - 2L platypus bottles at Boot Canyon.  ;)

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2019, 11:05:15 AM »
Yeah that's a ton of water; 22 pounds of water?  Seriously?

If I was doing what you are doing I'd have about 8, maybe less; and I always carry a light filter, the MSR TrailShot

Offline Bo_dynasty

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2019, 11:13:45 AM »

If I was doing what you are doing I'd have about 8, maybe less; and I always carry a light filter, the MSR TrailShot

Ok thank you! I was trying to read back on old threads to get an idea about summer hiking needs and thought it was too much. I have a light filter so I'll drop to the 3L and 1 x 2L plus the gatorades.

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2019, 11:24:37 AM »
Bo, thanks for being willing to provide a water report! 

If youíre well hydrated between now and when you leave you wonít need as much water.  Drink a liter before you begin your hike. If you take 7 liters you should be more than OK for an overnighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2019, 11:35:32 AM »
Yeah I always pound down a half liter to a liter before I start; then I usually won't drink at all up Pinnacles; or for about an hour after; and I budget to use 2 liters a day after that (which I rarely use all), so, I think I'd take 4 for this mission.  But 7 can't hurt, it's just another 6 pounds.

Once you get up Pinnacles there's not a whole lot strenuous up there.  Lots of shade opportunity.  Even Emory is only about 40 minutes of grunt, and you can leave the pack in the bear box

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2019, 01:40:32 PM »
I concur about not coming down Laguna Meadows for any reason unless you can make it back to the Basin by 10a. That black sand and exposure had me stumbling to my car on my last trip.

Where is Townsend Peak, btw?
http://www.virtualbigbend.com/big-bend-virtual-tour/#/Townsend-Point/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2019, 04:13:53 PM »

Ok thank you! I was trying to read back on old threads to get an idea about summer hiking needs and thought it was too much. I have a light filter so I'll drop to the 3L and 1 x 2L plus the gatorades.

Depending on when you leave and plan on returning to the car but I figure 5 liters a day like this:  1 for breakfast, 1 for the morning, 1 for lunch, 1 for the afternoon and 1 for dinner.  So if you drink one before you hit the trail (call the the morning liter) then you could do 3 that day and then 3-4 depending on when you plan to get back to the car.  There should be water in Boot Canyon pools if not out of the pipe.  The Basin has had 1.6" of rain in the last two weeks so you could cut back another liter or two if you wanted, especially if you can get some water reports from the rangers (don't count on that) or day hikers come off the trail.

And Welcome to BBC Bo_dynasty!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 04:35:37 PM by mule ears »
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!