Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

What's the name?

• 7 Replies

Offline ZachTeich

• Kangaroo Rat
What's the name?
« on: May 13, 2019, 01:31:26 PM »
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering what the name is (if any) of the little highpoint just north of the visitors center in the Chisos Basin?  I climbed it last week - it was 190 feet of elevation gain to the summit and a fun climb up the south face. 
Thanks, Zach

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: What's the name?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 01:34:43 PM »
Appetite Hill is what I have read or heard it being called.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 01:54:12 PM »
Appetite Hill is what I have read or heard it being called.

Camp Life

If you think Big Bend is isolated today, imagine what it must have been like in the 1930s, before air conditioned comfort and paved roads. Many CCC boys were away from their families for the first time. Because the camps were run by the Army, they had typical barracks and a mess hall. Legend has it that those complaining about food quality had to climb a steep hill before the next meal. Located directly north of the Chisos Basin Visitor Center, the hill is still known as “Appetite Peak.” The camp also offered many recreational opportunities. There was a museum, woodworking shop, photo darkroom, and movies were shown twice a month. In 1935, one of the barracks was converted to a classroom and the CCC began to provide education in addition to employment.

Offline ZachTeich

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 02:40:43 PM »
Thanks Flash and Richard

Offline Mesquito

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 03:57:06 PM »
Everyone will be struck dumb with admiration when I drop this on them, next time we’re in the Basin.

Offline bradj

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 08:21:21 PM »
OK, what is the secret to reaching the summit?  I've tried several times from the South and reached a dead end 3/4 of the way up.

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 08:58:02 AM »
OK, what is the secret to reaching the summit?  I've tried several times from the South and reached a dead end 3/4 of the way up.

Start from the amphitheater near the the campground on the north side and hike up the spine. That's the way I came down. I went the way Zach did from the south and it gets a little airy near the top with some exposure. It's a fun short little scramble though.

Offline ZachTeich

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 08:37:36 AM »

Brad,
If you are starting from the south, go more to the middle of the base and start up.  I went too far to the left (west) at first, but climbed down a little and then went more towards the center of the peak.  You will go next to a pine tree, and then past that there will be a crack in the rock a little further up.  You are kind of in a little canyon/ravine here, and that crack will be on the left.  You climb up the crack, and then you will get close to a bush.  Here you go right, and then climb up underneath and to the right of a big overhanging rock.  From there it is easier.  I climbed down the same way, but you can go down on the north side.  I did a lot of smaller peaks that day, and I think I will make a video of them, including this one.  I have this section on film.   

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!