Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Winter day hike South Rim

• 2 Replies

Offline kerrikay

• Kangaroo Rat
Winter day hike South Rim
« on: December 20, 2019, 12:04:24 PM »
When doing a day hike to the South Rim via Pinnacles, starting at 8 am in 40 degrees, assuming partly cloudy, in a down jacket and other layers, would you get hot from the exertion? Or would you stay cold?
We're part-timers living in Study Butte. We run and bike at the BBRSP, but don't hike the NP much. When running at BBRSP in December, I typically start cold but then get warmed up and start stripping layers off at about mile 2, especially when the sun comes up. But, the Chisos elevation is 5,500-7,500 versus the BBRSP is only 2,500 feet. So, I understand that it is colder in the Chisos.
We haven't hiked to South Rim in 15 years, and I don't remember if we got hot or cold. Lost Mine last April I only had a long sleeved shirt and vest. I know the Pinnacle trail is not all sunny, either. I just don't want to be hot, or lug too many hot, bulky layers that I will just have to strip off and stuff in the pack to carry the rest of the day.  Sometimes, a factor is whether there will be cold wind hitting you, but it appears that the wind won't be a big factor.  To really enjoy the hike, I'm trying to hike with a really light pack/runner hydration vest (only about 13 lbs, including 4L of water).
We're going next week on Christmas day, and the basin weather station forecast, if it holds, shows it'll get up to 55-60 degrees by mid/late afternoon, about the time we'll be almost back.
I am thinking that I might just have to do 3-4 thinner wicking and outer layers, and leave my pretty new down jacket at home. I can't imagine a strenuous hike with a down jacket on!  I figure I'll end up taking it off halfway up.  But, then I'll just have a couple of thin layers on?  I hope I don't get cold then.  i'm just not used to the weather at that elevation.
Thanks for any comments!
Kerrikay

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
Re: Winter day hike South Rim
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 12:36:12 PM »
I tend to warm up rather quickly when I'm hiking, so I'm usually peeling layers sooner rather than later.  Pinnacles is more strenuous than Laguna Meadows, so I imagine you'll heat up quicker.  However, as you noted, it is also shadier, so that will keep you a mite cooler as you climb.  The return trip, which will require less exertion, is where you might wish for the extra layering.

If you have a filter, you could filter water at Boot Springs or the pools in Boot Canyon.  That will save you some weight on the initial climb up Pinnacles.

Offline kerrikay

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Winter day hike South Rim
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 02:40:31 PM »
Thanks!  Good advice!
Kerrikay

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!