Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

canoeing/kayaking the San Marcos with a Water Safari legend

• 4 Replies

Offline jim2

• Black Bear
These videos were posted by on youtube by http://paddlewithstyle.com/

Holly Orr is  a multi time finisher of the Texas Water Safari,  she held the Womens Solo Record for fourteen years. Now she gives lessons, leads groups and does rentals.  I've taken  4/5 lessons with Holly found them fun and worth while, I plan on taking more.
Also rented boats for out of town company from her, she was right on time, everything went very smoothly. Whether you want a leisurely float down the San Marcos or  you want to pick the right line, use the right stroke and make the best time Holly can help you out.

David and Richard I hope this obvious plug for a small company is within the rules. I have two reasons to post this, I respect Holly, I hope that BBC members will have a good San Marcos river experience.
Fine by me - RichardM
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:44:48 PM by RichardM »

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
Re: canoeing/kayaking the San Marcos with a Water Safari legend
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 07:33:35 PM »
you going to attempt the TWS?

Offline jim2

• Black Bear
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 07:48:08 PM »
NO, that is well beyond my ambitions.  I have been keeping track of my time and distance, recently did twenty miles in four hours. I enjoy reading the river and the challenge of picking the most efficient line.

Offline jim2

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »
You can follow Holly and team here http://www.texaswatersafari.org/c/app/teamdetail.pl?num=345
At this point they have been paddling for 24.5 hours and they are going 6.82 mph

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 03:08:05 PM »
You can follow Holly and team here http://www.texaswatersafari.org/c/app/teamdetail.pl?num=345
At this point they have been paddling for 24.5 hours and they are going 6.82 mph

My son and I spent 5 hrs on the water yesterday, averaging 2 mph, and I promptly fell asleep when I came home.  I can't imagine 24 hrs straight.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2017 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!