Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Don't Tread on Me
Don't Tread on Me
Previous Image | Next Image
Description: This is one of the bigger western diamondback rattlesnakes I've seen in the park. I have seen one that dwarfed this guy, but that one did not pose for me one bit. This one on the other hand seemed to be taking its time warming up on the road to Balanced Rock. At first we thought it was a stalk laying on the road, but its iridescent appearance led me to believe we were about to cross paths with a recently molted rattler with a girth that was hard to believe. Sure enough, this big serpent moved off of the road and took up his position and simply stayed like this, frozen for the picture. It was cold enough that it didn't even flicker its tongue after it took up this pose. We quickly got the shot (using a 400mm lens) and got out of there to let this reptile do what it does best.
Picture Stats:
Views: 4824
Filesize: 440.22kB
Height: 450 Width: 640
Keywords: rattlesnake, diamondback, snake 
Posted by: stingrey at October 17, 2011, 06:00:51 PM

Image Linking Codes
BB Code
Direct Link
Show Html Link Code

Comments (1)

Casa Grande