Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Beware of Chisos hotel prices

• 20 Replies

Offline aggiehiker

• Black Bear
Beware of Chisos hotel prices
« on: October 26, 2009, 01:19:19 PM »
I just got back from a 3 day trip to Bibe where I stayed in the Chisos Mountain Lodge for the first time. I've always camped, but I had 3 older ladies with me and thought they'd prefer the hotel. I had reservations for almost two months and a reservation sheet they e-mailed me with a total of $272.42, including taxes. When I went to check out, the bill was $322.92. After several go rounds with the people there and a manager by phone, I reluctantly paid and left.  Their argument was that the reservation sheet says "prices are subject to change". (I am disputing their charge on my credit card and have sent the hotel a cashier's check for the original amount). My argument was that I had a confirmation sheet with a price on it and that they can't change it.

Has anyone else had this happen? I know I will never stay there again and have cancelled my rooms I had booked at Christmas. I have also written a letter to Forever Resorts, but I doubt if it will do any good.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Beware of Chisos motel prices
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 01:57:57 PM »
That does sound kind of fishy.

Proposed Rates for 2010
Casa Grande - $116/night
Rio Grande - $116/night
Emory Peak - $113/night
Roosevelt - $144/night

Rates are subject to approval by the National Park Service and may change at any time without notice.

2010 rates are subject to final approval by the National Park Service (NPS). Should the final rate approved by NPS be higher than your confirmed rate, your confirmed rate will take precedence and be honored. Should the final approved rate be less than your confirmed rate, your rate will be adjusted down to the approved rate.
It doesn't look like they should be able to change rates that quickly or easily if NPS approval is required. Keep fighting it at least until you get a good answer. Either way, let us know how it turns out.

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 48 years.
Re: Beware of Chisos hotel prices
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:00:07 PM »
I've stayed there several times and they have never done that to me. My latest email confirmation only had this in it about rates:

"Rates are subject to final approval by the National Park Service (NPS). Should the final rate approved by
NPS be higher than your confirmed rate, your confirmed rate will take precedence and be honored.
Should the final approved rate be less than your confirmed rate, your rate will be adjusted down to the
approved rate
."

I have some INTERNET confirmations (the print outs when reserving on-line) around somewhere, I'll check to see if they had any rate hike verbiage when I find them.

Maybe it's an aggie surcharge?  :icon_rolleyes: (sorry to do that when you're  :pissed:; it's a UT-ex requirement that I take any available pot shots even the cheap ones.  :eusa_shifty:)

edit: Oh, sorry I missed you :icon_frown:, it seems we were in the park at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:06:49 PM by fartymarty »
Fort Worth

Offline aggiehiker

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 04:12:01 PM »
Maybe it's an aggie surcharge? :pissed:

Them thars fightin' words, teasip! I'm anxious to see what they do when they find out I've cancelled the card charges-it will be a couple of days before they get the cashier's check. I thought about hooking up with others out there, but I had my mom and my girlfriend's mom with us(both around 80), so we did a lot of driving and very short hikes.

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 04:14:08 PM »
 :rolling:

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 04:32:47 PM »
Never had a problem but with a confirmed reservation and then switching on checkout sounds like bait and switch.
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

chisos_muse

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 05:03:18 PM »
It would seem to me that what Richard posted from their website would take legal precedence. I'm in the travel biz and have never had a problem with a reservation after a price has been confirmed. You should be charged the price at the time of the reservation and confirmation of such. Some people may think that they are running things on Mt. Olympus, not the Chisos....  :eusa_snooty:

Offline dkerr24

• Mountain Lion
  • The worst day hiking > the best day in a cubicle.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 07:27:50 PM »
I don't blame you, I would dispute the charge as well.  After I finished my OML hike in Feb, I dropped by their front desk to see if any possibility of a room that night.  I didn't have a reservation.  They only charged me the internet rate for the room.  Perhaps it was because I looked and smelled bad and they felt sorry for me?  :)

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 08:01:38 PM »
I've never heard of the resort personnel working the front desk being anything other than helpful, so I'm guessing either this price adjustment came down from corporate or they have a new manager who just doesn't get it.

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »
It will be interesting to find out what happens.   Seems like they should not have just charged you more but maybe there was something else going on (like a Surcharge or something) that might have changed the deal.  If the Lodge just decided to jack up the rates on you and charge you more than I think what you did was right but if it was an NPS, Federal, or State fee/charge/tax/rate change that jacked up the bill then I think you should pay it.   Please let us know how it works out...  TWWG
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 10:48:48 PM by TheWildWestGuy »

Offline alcap

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 05:46:28 AM »
I had a similar issue with them the one time I stayed there (March 07).  They were not at all helpful, rude even, and charged me more than the confirmed rate. The explanation was simply, "our rates have gone up", over and over and over.
Alcap

Offline 1badtk

• 83% Crazy
  • Jack Rabbit
  • COFFEE!
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 12:24:24 PM »
I just made reservations to stay in the Casa Grande Building A, upstairs attached rooms. Was sent two confirmations and will look at them tonight and see what they say about prices.
I only had one problem with the lodge back in 2004 with lost reservations, but they went out of their way to make sure 14 men had rooms to sleep in for 4 days and this was our 4th Bible Study in the Desert at BiBe. Old managers, old personel, but I don't take likely to being cheated. So it will be interesting on how the pricing goes at checkout in Sept 2010.
Was just there this April but didn't stay in the Basin, rented a house on the Terlingua Ranch instead. Noticed all the people seam a lot younger, not so uh helpful, not a lot of wisdom behind the counter, and acted as if it wasn't all that important. We waited and made our reservations till this week so I wouldn't half to or be able to reach accross the counter and get someones undivided attention.  :eusa_snooty:
WARNING!
I am not responcible for the above post accuracy or validity.
With the outside forces of God, Satan, and the small voices in my head, I am not in total control. Therefore read at your own risk and DO NOT CALL 911.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 01:42:42 PM »
Too bad rebelusmc65 is no longer active here. I assume he still works at the front desk. He was always very helpful and professional.

SHANEA

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 03:43:41 PM »
Put the power of the internet and the people to work for you.  Make sure they know you posted this on the website.  People might not stay there with service like this.

I was thinking along these lines last night, before I even read this post.  Probably about time the hotels started following the airline model.  Want your sheets changed daily - $25 surcharge, want new towels daily - $15 surcharge, want to watch the TV, $7 surcharge per night, want to use the luggage carrier, $12 fee, want to use the exercise room, $15.00, want to use the pool, $15, want to have the room cleaned, $35 per cleaning, plus, there is an automatic surcharge of $35 per day for cleaning the halls, keeping the outside mowed and cleaned, etc....  :)   Want your W/C cleaned, $50 per cleaning.

Offline Goldilocks

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 10:09:34 PM »
Too bad rebelusmc65 is no longer active here. I assume he still works at the front desk. He was always very helpful and professional.

He is still there, but I am not sure if he can do anything about the prices.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!