Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Internet

• 13 Replies

Offline Dinohunter

• Coyote
Internet
« on: September 15, 2010, 09:52:16 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone knows if any of the hotels in Study Butte or Terlingua have internet connections.

Offline FatPacker

• Coyote
Re: Internet
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 09:39:04 PM »
When we were at the Starlight Theatre in August, there were at least 6 people in there connected to their WiFi .
Not a hotel, but the Lone Stars were only $2.
Are we there yet?

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 10:21:46 PM »
The Big Bend Motor Inn used to have wi-fi, although it was supposedly pretty weak.

Offline Dinohunter

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:16:32 AM »
When we were at the Starlight Theatre in August, there were at least 6 people in there connected to their WiFi .
Not a hotel, but the Lone Stars were only $2.

Well, I know where I'm going to be posting my daily pictures from!!!!   :eusa_dance:

Offline Dinohunter

• Coyote
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:20:27 AM »
The Big Bend Motor Inn used to have wi-fi, although it was supposedly pretty weak.

I was really looking at staying at the Chisos Mining Co. but I haven't seen anything on their website about having internet access. (Unless I'm blind and missed it) But heck if the Starlight has WiFi I'd much rather get on there and have a beer. or two. or three. or four.

Offline Gwyn Glasslynn

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 02:37:15 PM »
Ten Bits Ranch at www.tenbitsranch.com has wi-fi.

Offline Lorax

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 10:24:27 AM »
Some businesses in the Terlingua area have wi-fi hot spots.  Somewhere there is a map.  Check for the map at the Quicksilver Bank.  I've used Big Bend  Motel's by parking next to the restaurant.  While the Starlight is closed, there are other places that offer wi-fi.

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 11:20:02 AM »
There was supposed to be WiFi available in the lobby of the hotel in the park, also on the deck outside the restaurant I believe.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 11:43:22 AM »
There was supposed to be WiFi available in the lobby of the hotel in the park, also on the deck outside the restaurant I believe.

Basin Lodge and RGV Store both have free WI-FI. I actually used both last week.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Jim

• Black Bear
  • Visiting BBNP since 1975
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 02:17:14 PM »
Forever Resorts has actually expanded WiFi coverage in the Basin area.  There is also a repeater unit on the front porch of the convenience store, so that ought to cover the entire parking area.  I don't know how good reception actually is inside the rooms, however.  There was talk of extending coverage up to the cottages area, but that may take some time.  The repeaters work best with clear line of site between them, and that may be a problem.

Offline Voni

• Diamondback
    • Voni and Paul
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 08:47:58 AM »
Kosmic Kathy's Kowgirl Kafe has wireless all the time, even when she's not open.

Thanks, Kathy!

Voni
  sMiling
Live deeply, laugh fully, love widely
Terlingua, TX

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
   photo site:  http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a326/VoniGlaves/

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 11:18:16 AM »
Kosmic Kathy's Kowgirl Kafe has wireless all the time, even when she's not open.

Cool! Any idea what kind of range her modem has? Is it accessible from any of the Chisos Mining Company Motel rooms/cabins?

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 10:37:40 PM »

Cool! Any idea what kind of range her modem has? Is it accessible from any of the Chisos Mining Company Motel rooms/cabins?

Get out of your room and become one with the desert at Kosmic Kathy's!  I've only eaten there twice -- a couple of years apart. I was amazed when Kathy remembered us as we ordered a couple of her great sandwiches the second visit.  That gal doesn't miss a thing!

Al

Offline VivaTerlingua

• Coyote
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 08:14:25 AM »
There is a computer at the Ghost Town Cafe available for public use but no wifi.  As mentioned above, La Posada Milagro has wifi, it's a nice place for breakfast and lunch.  Leapin' Lizard art gallery has wifi.  I believe Terlingua Store does as well.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!