Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

motels in ft stockton

• 14 Replies

Offline aggiemom

• Kangaroo Rat
motels in ft stockton
« on: December 28, 2006, 03:52:58 PM »
Does anyone have a recommendation or caveat for motels in Ft Stockton?  We are stopping there before we head to the park early Saturday the 6th.  We prefer less expensive options!
The desert looks like water when you're trying to get clean.............. ..

Online Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
motels in ft stockton
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 05:09:44 PM »
I've stayed at the Motel 6 and La Quinta. Both are fairly typical for those chains. If you prefer the La Quinta make the reservation but check the Weekend Impulse section of their website the week before you head out (if you are booking over a weekend) as they may be discounting rates.

Offline MarkB

• Black Bear
    • Big Bend Photos
Hotels
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 05:12:05 PM »
For the price it is hard to beat the Motel 6 at the edge of town; I have  stayed there several times. It is clean, quiet and comfortable. If you get a room at the back on the second floor you will get a view of the mountains when you walk out the door.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
motels in ft stockton
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 08:43:51 AM »
I have stayed at the Econo Lodge once, once.  Stinky, noisy, hard bed, etc. Never again but it was only 35 or so bucks.  I prefer HolidayInn Express or Hampton.  A bit more pricey, (70-95, I believe) but I like comfort when staying in hotels and I can't stand it when it stinks.  If you're only staying one night, what the hell.

Offline aggiemom

• Kangaroo Rat
motels in ft stockton
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 09:11:52 AM »
Thanks for the tips!  We are eager to get there!
The desert looks like water when you're trying to get clean.............. ..

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
Re: motels in ft stockton
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 09:12:40 PM »
I have stayed at the Econo Lodge once, once.  Stinky, noisy, hard bed, etc. Never again but it was only 35 or so bucks.  If you're only staying one night, what the hell.

I have stayed there 2 times, but not any more, motel 6 or best western or one of the newer places from now on.

James
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline emsprofessional

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 03:25:53 PM »
With the current boom because of oil there are basically no rooms available as workers now live in them.  If you do find one they are pricey.  Motel six now leaves the lights on for you for the low low price of $59.99. 

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 04:49:59 PM »
With the current boom because of oil there are basically no rooms available as workers now live in them.  If you do find one they are pricey.  Motel six now leaves the lights on for you for the low low price of $59.99. 
Just for grins I checked Orbitz.com for a one night stay August 1. Here's the results:
La Quinta Inn Fort Stockton - from $119 per night
Sleep Inn Fort Stockton - from $120 per night
Quality Inn Fort Stockton - from $119 per night
Motel 6 Ft Stockton - from $65 per night
Super 8 Motel Ft Stockton - from $109 per night
Days Inn Fort Stockton - from $107 per night
Hampton Inn Fort Stockton, TX - from $139 per night
Knights Inn and Suites/Atrium West - No rooms available
Rodeway Inn Fort Stockton - No rooms available

Ouch. I guess it's just as well I can't afford the gas to drive out there...

oldfatman

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 06:36:22 PM »
Use your tent at the RV park on I-10

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »
Don't stop in Fort Stockton except to gas up, check your ice and grab something to eat. Then keep going.

Al

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 09:57:29 PM »
Only night I've spent there was on the return trip home where we left the park as the sun was going down. Dinner at Sara's Cafe after a much-needed shower, then to bed for about $60 at the Comfort Inn, followed by the free breakfast. Made the drive home shorter, too.

Offline emsprofessional

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 09:28:31 AM »
Use your tent at the RV park on I-10

Yup, much cheaper.  I usually have my less than 20' travel trailer with me and if I don't just sleep in Walmart parking lot I'll go out there so I have electric.  But they have even gone up some this year.

As to eating in Fort Stockton service is lousy.  Prices are up, quality down.  Two places I have found that are ok is Alfredos  which is west of Walmart and East of Motel 6 on south side of road.  The other is Super Burrito on the South service road of I-10 just west of the Monohans exit, they have great real lemonade if you get there before they run out. 

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
I usually eat at Bien Venidos on the east portion of Dickinson (the main drag) on my way back to civilization. Randell, Matt, and I ate at the Pizza Hut one night (They had beer, and they were open.) and I sometimes eat at the Subway on the west end of Dickinson. Only stay in Fort Stockton if I am heading to the Bend after work. At these gas prices and current hotel prices, those quick weekend trips (head out Fri, come back Sun) are probably a thing of the past.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline MarkB

• Black Bear
    • Big Bend Photos
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 12:25:35 AM »
I usually eat at Bien Venidos on the east portion of duckinson (the main drag) on my way back to civilization. Randell, Matt, and I ate at the Pizza Hut one night (They had beer, and they were open.) and I sometimes eat at the Subway on the west end of duckinson. Only stay in Fort Stockton if I am heading to the Bend after work. At these gas prices and current hotel prices, those quick weekend trips (head out Fri, come back Sun) are probably a thing of the past.

Jeff: Have been very busy last several months  so I am just now catching up to reading some of the posts. If you are looking for a job in Fort Stockton there are plenty of openings, but
be sure and bring your own mobile home to live in because there are few to no apartments or homes to rent due to oil/gas boom in prices. The town is really experiencing a population  explosion with many growing pains, and motels and hotels are being renovated and new ones built and filled to capacity most nights at much higher $ rates than previously. I really enjoyed my usual chicken fried steak dinner at K-Bobs and the food quality and service was good as always. I wouldn't write off the town just yet, but it
definitely needs time to adjust to all the growth.   
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 01:24:41 PM by MarkB »

Offline PyramidBlaster

• Coyote
  • 3AM Eternal...
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 06:20:22 AM »
I typically go for the Hampton Inn, because I have a thing for them...I stayed at this particular one a couple of years ago, and it was a wonderful way to clean up and relax before and after a prolonged visit to the park...I tried staying there last year, but it was booked up solid...:pissed:   So I had to go to my runner-up, Days Inn.

I've stayed next door at the Days Inn several times, and it's consistently pleasant, other than the last visit when housekeeping knocked on my door at like 8am!

They're both a little pricey, but hey...you get what you pay for...
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."-H.P. Lovecraft

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!