Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Old-fashioned rooms at the Gage

• 5 Replies

Offline Joe The Real Deal

• Kangaroo Rat
Old-fashioned rooms at the Gage
« on: March 13, 2018, 01:01:39 PM »
Hi - I recently learned that there are still a couple old-fashioned rooms with a bathroom down the hall at the Gage in Marathon. They have really made the place fancier (and more expensive) over the years, so I was happy to find out that you can get a room for $99, but you have to call and reserve it over the phone instead of booking on line.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Re: Old-fashioned rooms at the Gage
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 01:10:24 PM »
Wow!  What a great deal!   

They tried to extort my wife and I one stormy night for 400. Unfortunately,   I'll never go there for any amount because of that. But,  that is a heck of a deal!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Txlj

• Diamondback
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 03:05:30 AM »
Ive noticed everything in the Bend is going up since the "new" popularity of the park the last few years. I dont mind paying to play, but some of the prices can be absurd.

sent from flatland

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 10:43:53 AM »
I stayed in those rooms a few times back in the late 80's - it was like going back in time.
"Hey, how 'bout a Fandango..?"

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 04:11:08 PM »
I stayed in those rooms a few times back in the late 80's - it was like going back in time.
Yup. I fondly recall staying in the rooms with no A/C and a wash basin with pitcher of water. Open the transom and windows for the cool night breeze. Price was pretty cheap, too.

Offline Joe The Real Deal

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 12:57:38 PM »
I stayed at the Gage last night. The $99 room was nicely decorated and modernized like the expensive rooms, and it had a sink in it.  Of course we had access to the common areas, too. And the chicken fried steak really hit the spot!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!