Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Roosevelt cottage #105

• 4 Replies

Offline Jezzyrules

• Kangaroo Rat
Roosevelt cottage #105
« on: November 07, 2010, 05:49:38 PM »
Has anyone stayed at the Roosevelt Cottage #105?    We are staying there in February and was wondering about the view and if it is quiet.  I saw on a layout map  of the lodging area and saw that an ice machine is near by.  Anyone have a review of this particular room? 

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
Re: Roosevelt cottage #105
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 06:16:25 PM »
I believe that the one I stayed in several years ago. either that or 104, they are a duplex, so are the same building. No real porch so to say, but there are a few chairs by the door. The cottage is pretty old and it does have a funky layout. most of the lodge rooms have gotten new beds recently so that will be a big plus if #105 has been done. parking for this unit is well...ummm nt very good, but you can park right infront of it

It is quiet and the view is pretty good, but not from inside the room.  You need to walk just about 30 feet, maybe less to get a much better view of the window. you can walk a short ways down the trail to get an even better view.
you will be right at the trail head, for all of the upper Chisos trails, but you will not have a constant parade of hikers going by.

the room has a mini fridge, microwave and coffee pot.

James
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline Jezzyrules

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 06:38:49 PM »
Thanks James!  We are looking forward to our trip.  Just was out in Big Bend in October and starting planning the return trip a day later.  The beauty of the place is just something you can't get out of your head, especially when you get back to the rat race.

Offline CactusFlower

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 08:22:29 PM »
Jezzy, we stayed in that one (among others) with family in October.  There are a few chairs out front and the  view is ok...like James says, you need to walk a little bit and take your chairs with you.  The noise was nonexistant, except for the motorcycles and diesel trucks but that was pretty fleeting.  It was handy having the ice machine.  From the picture I have, when you look at the duplex, 105 is on your left with 104 on your right.  If that is true, then 105, like the others, has a main room with 2 Full size beds, but is different from others because it has a little hallway with a separate room with a door with the third full size bed (all cottages have 3 beds but the others just have a room with a curtain.  You will share an inner door that you can keep locked with 104.  I don't remember hearing the neighbors at all, except when walking to the bathroom, as it is near the shared door.

Offline Jezzyrules

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 09:48:02 PM »
Thank you, I was wondering how noise would be between the two rooms....and you are right about the ice machine, it will be handy to having it close for our drinks/small cooler. 

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!